A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash Video CD Project

Flash Video CD Project

Dear All

I am building an application which plays embedded video and I need some guidance on the capabilities and limitations of Flash.

There are two specific requirements, the video must be high quality and I need to track who is watching what.

I could keep the application entirely on CD if it's possible to track what they're looking at. So I would test for an internet connection and if there is a connection, post the tracking information into an online database. However, I realise that this method raises security issues and a firewall may block it. Also, the content will be out of date as soon as the CD is published, whereas if I use a website I can update it easily.

Therefore my thought is to have the video files stored on CD because they'll be large in size, and access them through the website. So here is what I'm thinking:

1. An application is published on CD
    2. It links directly to a website and passes the CD drive letter as a variable in the url (e.g. www.mydomain.com?cd_drive=e)
    3. The user clicks through the site and we track their movements
    4. The user clicks to play a video and it plays from the CD (using the exact path to the video file) through the website (the video is embedded)

Is this possible? If it's possible, is it robust? Is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks for your time - and please feel free to make alternative suggestions as I haven't decided on any particular method or technology yet.

You wont have to think of paths to the drive if you have a main interface on the cd, that loads the online content into it.

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

Tracking

Good point.

I like that idea a lot, although the problem is tracking what they are looking at.