A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Jigsaw Puzzle Game

Jigsaw Puzzle Game

Has anyone here ever created a jigsaw puzzle game where the pieces are cut out using masks? I'm working on a jigsaw game, but masking slows the computer down too much. Just wondered if anyone else found a way to solve this problem. Thanks!

Professional Air Guitarist Frag's Avatar
    Brain, Body, Clothes, Computer Chair, Room, House, Neighborhood, City, State, Country, Continent, World, Galaxy, Universe, and on?
    I created this using 72+ dynamic masks and its purdy fast on my sad 400 MHz 384 SDRAM. If it IS NOT slow on your computer make sure you are using _visible = false; rather than _alpha = 0; if you are using that at all.

No, I'm not using either of those codes. Where should I use them at? Here's an example of the game so far. The pieces are very slow when you try to drag them.

Professional Air Guitarist Frag's Avatar
    Brain, Body, Clothes, Computer Chair, Room, House, Neighborhood, City, State, Country, Continent, World, Galaxy, Universe, and on?
    When I made that face flipper I needed to show and hide pieces according to what the user clicked. The first time I tried using blah._alpha = 0; and the movie was VERY slow. Then I did blah._visible = false; and it is as is now.

You probably aren't hiding any peices so I don't know why it is going so slow.

No, I'm not hiding any pieces. I'd really like to see an example of a puzzle game done this way, but I can't seem to find any open-source ones like that. They all seem to already have the picture broken up into pieces.

I tried making jigsaw puzzle using masks, where you could load whole picture into it and the placement of puzzle pieces was also changed in each game. Sadly, I ran into same problem of the game being way too slow to playable. If you want to see it, I could look up the example when I get home.

Hi,

Here is something I made a long time ago.
    There is no depth sorting and it's pretty crude, but it is quick considering It's 12fps.
    Can't remember how i made it though

Will have a look for the fla when I get home. Meanwhile I will have a think.

http://www.muh-muh.com/cv/jigsaw.htm

Some Games
    -----------------------

I guess I will just have to cut the puzzle pieces by hand. Thanks for all the help!

message for flashisland

flashisland - how did you get the pieces to stick togather and be draggable as a group?

many thanks,

lukemack

lukemack - I just sent you an e-mail. If you need anymore help, just e-mail me.