A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [BETA] Tetris: Metroid Invasion

The Last Starfighter

[BETA] Tetris: Metroid Invasion

have begun and almost finished coding a tetris clone in the metroid theme. Instead of blocks I used metroids in clumps (like the original but better)

Tetris: Metroid Invasion
    it's size is 640x480 so be prepared.

ermm.... ok good game

only thing i saw that was different was the pieces went straight down when you press down. Normally it goes down quite fast and your score goes up.
    "wen i found my gerbil dead my other gerbil was eating it i just cried and screamed"
    http://www.livescripts.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by some moderator : Today at 9:01 PM.

The Last Starfighter
    have you ever played the tetris game on the TI Calculators? I used the same concept when you press down. I figure it make a little more challenging to play. I am going to add some coding later to take out the help bar. I makes the game way too easy.

pretty nice one
    Cheers, KGTRIP

Looks good. It plays fine currently except the level progression is too slow. At the speed it goes I'd play for hours on a single game. Also, the instant drop is something I've never liked in a tetris game. Finally, whats the point of the metroid concept other then to use someone elses copywrited material? It doesn't add anything at all. Why not switch it to something else?

Have fun!

The little blue'ish white bar down the bottom is very helpful but makes things quite easy. I think this is the first version of tetris i've seen that has that in it

What exactly are these Metroid thing's? They look like bugs. I've heard of a nintendo game Super Metroid (?) and the name Samus so i'm assuming they have some relation to that game?

Wouldn't it have been better to base your tetris "theme" on something you thought up yourself? aswell as adding some kinda of new spin to the old game to give it a fresh feel? At the moment it's just another tetris clone and doesn't have enough to make it stand out over the other clones.

Hmm, is good clone of tetris (hmm well i think that), but the game is very easy, the progresive levels are so slow, and that can be boring for some people they want challenge like me, well is good game but and i don't see any bug yet.

[bug]---obviously not the squares.... but some of the other metroid formations wouldn't rotate on up keypress.....just thought i had better mention this .....

Originally posted by hum
    [bug]---obviously not the squares.... but some of the other metroid formations wouldn't rotate on up keypress.....just thought i had better mention this .....
    yea, similar thing happened to me,
    After getting a gameover all the pieces could only rotate to two different formations or sometimes they couldnt rotate at all. Before getting a gameover everything worked fine though

~MD

The Last Starfighter
    an intersting bug. I must check into that one. Glad you caught it.

Looks pretty good--I like the little metroid graphics. I agree with what others have said about level-progress speeds. It seemed to take forever to get to level 2, and then all of a sudden, I was at level 5. Is the level progression based on score or lines?

I'd also like to see a counter telling me the number of lines completed as well as the score.

I don't like the fact you can rotate only one way; there were times I found myself needing to 'rotate into a spot' (especially with the 'T' shaped blocks); only to find that I couldn't rotate the direction I needed to rotate. A small annoyance, but one that eventually killed me. Maybe in addition to using the 'up' key to rotate, also allow the user to use another pair of keys ('<' and '>') for directional rotation.

The Last Starfighter
    I see what you mean. I am going to recode the levels to make it so when 10 lines are completed you advance like the original. I will also code some better controls like using the mouse to move and rotate with a mouse button. probably a little difficult but I'll see what I can do. as for the '<' and '>', that can be done easily.

One problem I have seen come up is that when you get the game over screen, after you restart you can't rotate the pieces right. I am wondering why that is and so far far have not been able to figure out the problem. once I zip up the file I 'll post it to let everyone see what I have cooked up.