A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [disc] Nes Ai

Hybrid View

The Last Starfighter

[disc] Nes Ai

I am starting a new project called NES ressurrrection. The goal of this project is to remake the old nes games. Of course I won't remake all of them. just a few of the good ones.

I figure I will start this thread to assertain what all of you think on how the AI works in a few games. I am listing a few games in mind and how i'd like to do them. I would like your opinions

1.) The Legend of Zelda (TBW, maybe even ISO)
    2.) TMNT 1 (Art Based probably)
    3.) River City Ransom
    4.) SMB the lost levels (I personally want to make it easier to play)
    5.) Adventure Island (Art Based)
    6.) Dragon Warrior series (tbw looks easiest but maybe ISO)

Well what would all of you say.

Re: [disc] Nes Ai

Originally posted by SamusKreations

1.) The Legend of Zelda (TBW, maybe even ISO)
    bit adventurous isnt it?
    "wen i found my gerbil dead my other gerbil was eating it i just cried and screamed"
    http://www.livescripts.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by some moderator : Today at 9:01 PM.

Limehouse, Ontario - Never heard of it? Not surprised.
    I would say it's overzealous
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it today.

I am only familiar with two types of AI. I've used Klas Kroon's Robust Tracing for the enemy to come at you in a tile based world, or the enemy that just roves around aimlessly. I wrote my own AI in RABMO, but it was pretty beat compared to what other guys are doing. It's been so many years since playing ZELDA, I forget how it even went, except for the graphics. This project sounds ambitious, maybe just rolling out one game at a time would be more managable. Good luck.

*I never heard of those other games. I only played Mario, Duck Hunt, Contra, Zelda and Ikari Warriors.

The NES wasn't powerful enough to run any advanced AI routines, and none of the games you have listed really uses AI at all. Most enemy movements are predefined - the Koopas in Mario, for example, will just alternate between walking left and right when they hit an object. The enemies in TNMT are the same, though some of them may meander towards the player. The only time you may encounter AI is in end-of-level bosses; this is generally decision based, ie:

if player is within striking distance
    attack
    else if player is too far away
    move closer
    else if player is too close
    move away
    else if player is attacking
    defend

All NES games are tile-based, as that is how the hardware worked. If you browse around on Google, you should find utilities that will let you rip the tiles directly from NES ROMs.

Sounds like a fun project!

The Last Starfighter
    I realize tbw is the backbone of the NES but I want to stray away from it just a little. Granted that it would be faster, tbw can get a little confusing if you aren't ready for it. When I made the game brickmaster, it took almost a month becuase of the way mbenney had coded the engine. he did a good job but I want to beef up the games, give em better graphics.

I am not saying that I'll take Rygar and turn it into the PS2 version (even though it kicked ass on PS2). I am simply experimenting with a few things seeing how it goes.

I am in the workings of making Kid Icarus 2. A real sequal if you ask me. When I get a working copy up I'll post it. In the mean time, keep this discussion going. It's good to have everyone's opinion on this subject. I am getting some good responses here.

kid icarus II, w000t!!! one of my favorite games!
    i've also in my unfinished game stock some kind of kid icarus sequel: the game has max 4 colors per sprite/tile, a max palette of 52 colors, have few animations and all (real retro, you guessed it). it's not related to kid icarus, but is very similar. i'll work on it more when my new game project will be finished.

if you want to have a kid icarus game, here's the artist you need (though he's a very busy guy): http://www.kennethfejer.dk/

The Last Starfighter
    damn dude! That game looks awesome. Compared to mine, yours is superior. hell if I had known you had one I would help you out on the game instead of makin my own.

My story is really not complete though. After a fews years of the first one, Icarus is captured by the Grim Reaper (you know the one that goes nuts when he sees you?). Anyway he must travel through the underworld and find a way out in order to reach Olympus. ALong the way he can switch places with Eros (Cupid in Roman Mythology). Together they must take down the reaper and his new band of minions.

sorry, you missunderstood me, that images are from kenneth fejer (the link i posted is his site, he is very talented, check also his punch out screens, and his GBA tennis game), and they are not a game, just a mock-up...

no really, my version is really NES-ish with a black background. those screenies are more like if they are running on a SNES or GBA...

oh, and how can i forget about grim reaper
    Last edited by marmotte; 05-13-2004 at 04:59 PM.

The Last Starfighter
    i have to laugh everytime I see him. He looks like he's high until he sees you then he goes phycho on your ass playing that wierd music and sending his little children group after you. I thought he was just a hilarious part in the game. Although I still can't play it all the way through. It is a little too tough for me, and I can take down Tyson in one round. strange huh?

Still workin some kinks out the game I'll post a few screenshots and what not soon.