dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is it proper to mention a 3DFA Alternative without offending others?

Is it proper to mention a 3DFA Alternative without offending others?

I do not want to upset anyone here. So I will ask first.

I don't care. I'm fed up with their "Tech Support" and the fact that they haven't come out with a new version yet.

I'm sure Rob won't care either..... considering the fact that he never comes on the forum anymore to help out or give us a clue about a new version.
    Dan

Oops. I broke it.... again.

well I guess I don't really care much anymore - I've just ordered ridiculously discounted WebtoolsMX (not 2004) bundle - at least I'll know there wont be THAT much bug-workarounds needed.

and it's SCITE|FLASH compatible - tadaaa !!!

asking for info

Hi machomaus
    If you don't mind, please let me know
    how much you have to pay for it?...
    Where you order it?...
    Thanks
    Rui

http://www.pasadena.si/knjigarna/?id=i101

sorry, afaik they don't deliver outside Slo. Well at least you know what's it about - a CD only distro, should be around 200 - 220 euro. What's most important you are eligible for upgrades to mx2004 thingies when you find it appropriate. Unluckily Dreamweaver comes without Homesite. Well I'll stick with 4.52 for the time being.

Try some google - find a dealer near you if you are interested - this is the cheapest you can get legally imo.

Try Swish Max, good support, good tutorials and quick updates. A lot of what you already know from 3DFA can be translated over and a lot of Actionscript tutorials also are useful. If you need 3D then get hold of Swift3D and use it with Swish Max - not as cheap as 3DFA, but still cheaper than Flash MX.

Swish / Swift 3D?

Swish does not replace the features that are unique in 3DFA. It does not have broadcast quality animations and effects when you are moving large objects. Yes most Flash apps can move small objects smoothly but not large objects. This is an attribute of 3DFA and to a lesser degree found in ********** or Powerbullet. If you could increase the frame rates on these, they would compete with 3DFA.

The list below is in order of: Only quality effects and animations

1) Flash MX / Swift 3D Swift 3D is not a complete flash app, it is dependant upon MX or other apps that give full programming control. You usually drop Swift 3D objects into a flash app environment.

3) 3DFA (lacks action script compatibility)

4) ********** / Powerbullet (these 2 programs have much of the same code base)

5) Swish Do you think Swish Max has better animation quality than Swish?

On another note, 3DFA would be considered a Rapid Development Application and would place first among the list above.

I will post the answer this week, which is an opinion based upon carefully assessing 3DFA and product X.
    Last edited by rblanc; 05-17-2004 at 01:55 AM.

If you could increase the frame rates on these, they would compete with 3DFA.
    You can increase the frame rate with SwishMax and it has better animation effects than Swish (I think you can even create and save your own based on the effect primatives). There are a few things that SwishMax cannot do as easily, such as combo boxes, menus and scroll bars, as there are no built-in primatives - but they can be done. The only things that can't be done in SwishMax are 3D and shape morphs (this is really the only thing I wish SwishMax did have).

Just remembered, there is also KoolMoves which I used ages ago and was pretty nice for simple stuff, it seems to have come a long way since I first tried it.

OK its seems like there are meny other tools to creat flash movies
    or games but i think what most of us are realy want to know is
    can it read the .movie files that we created on 3dfa

i ask think because i created such a big movie that i will hate to
    try and do it all over again
    ok....what ?

no