dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to avoid pixelization when creating static drawings for other applications?

How to avoid pixelization when creating static drawings for other applications?

Hey gang,

I was wondering if anyone couold give me some tips on the best way to keep my images clean when they are used in other applications (e.g. Powerpoint).

I created a bunch of cartoon clip art for a poster someone else is working on (for work), and when the PP doc was enlarged at Kinkos, my images became pixilated. I published them all as .gifs.

Would publishing them as .pngs work better? Should I just do all of the layout myself in Flash? If I do that, how should I publish it so that Kinkos can access the document and so it won't pixelize when enlarged?

Thanks!

-Sandy

well getting the picture enlarged is probably the root of the problem. Well that along with the use of PP, saving it as a gif (when creating it in Flash, which is vector based).

I would assume Kinkos has recent design software on hand. I'd just export it out of Flash in Adobe Illustrator format. They should be able to open it up in Illustrator, enlarge it, and your artwork should retain it's sharpness. That is assuming that you aren't using any photographic (or raster) elements in your design. If you are, let me know and I'll try to walk you through setting that up as well.

Thanks for the tip. I don't have Illustrator at this time, but I'll look into getting it.

I think I may have fixed my problem outside of Flash though. I called Kinkos and asked the same question that I posed to you all, and they directed me to thier website to install thier File Prep Tool software. It basically turns whatever file your doing into a .pdf (only they use a .kdf exchange) like Illustrator would, and you can send the file to them electronically so that you don't have to take the disk to the store.

Here is the link if anyone runs into this problem in the future:

http://kinkos.com/kfp/kfp_download.php

You have to register it, but it's worth it (at least to me).

Thanks again,

Sandy

Simply placing an image into Illustrator and extracting it back out will not do the trick if your file isn't vector art.

I assume you will have to re-create the image in Illustrator then save it as vectorized art. Vectorized art can be blown up to almost limitless sizes while maintaining integrity.

If you have no idea on creating vector art and or using the 'pen tool' then you might want to look into having someone teach you freehand enough to know the AUTOTRACE feature, which can quickly turn a scanned image or other rasterized art, into vector art.

Good luck!