A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [beta] Apache Attack

[beta] Apache Attack

Please enjoy : Apache Attack

First the name, if anyone feels it is too similar to IOPRED's HeliAttack2, let me know. I respect him and do not want to step on his toes, I have a few other names but the folks at work seemed to like this one.

Second, the graphics are real rough just to make sure everything works. I would appreciate any thoughts on this game so I can make improvements to it and make it more enjoyable for the end user. The high score system seems to be working thanks to ROBTJE for helping out with that.

Last but not least, Last weekend, I saw Ferry Halim's Milk The Cow and said, "wow". That is a very cool effect, so therefore my idea is less than original. I would like to feel that mine is coded much better since everything is AS and written 4 years later, no animation, etc...Ferry is a great illustrator, no doubt. Props to him for posting his work for all to see.

Also, I have a funny feeling, but this game has probably already been done to death. However, I do feel good about this because I wrote it thursday night from scratch, except the highscore system. The engine with graphics was only 4k, but when I added the other screens it grew to 40k.

I would like to get as much feedback as possible to make this fun for everyone. Thanks, and have a great weekend.

Yea it is looking very nice so far...

Just make it so you can not score after hitting the soldiers once because you can shoot their blood piles to rack up more points...

Great job and it is looking nice!

-----Soccr743-----

bit fast for me...
    "wen i found my gerbil dead my other gerbil was eating it i just cried and screamed"
    http://www.livescripts.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by some moderator : Today at 9:01 PM.

You should make it so that that you can view all around like the orisinal game.. it would be copying even more - but if youve started why stop ?

Agreed about the blood bug, that needs to be sorted, it got a little boring... How about some variety? Buildings to shoot missiles at, gun turrets, other apache's flying at you, tanks and big explosions when you hit em with bits flying off in all directions!

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter
    blog - games, design and the rest

"2D is a format, not a limitation" -Luis Barriga

Yeah, nice game. I like the screen angle changing to make it look like a helichopter. It just so hard to gun down those little guys.

I will not be able to make any adjustments until Sunday evening, RANDOM10122, buidings and other objects like that can be done, and I will try to incorporate them into the game. I was under the impression that Ferry Halim's version does not let you rotate entirely, but his cows have theier _x += to a higher number than mine, he is the master of illusion. I could do that if that is what the people would like, I am very openminded about making changes. Nothing is written in stone. Boring is not how I want the end result to be. Please keep it all coming and thanks so much for telling me what you thought. Thanks.

Official Shoe Shiner thehumanchimp's Avatar
    thats brilliant, although a bit fast in my opinion, although it might just be that im crap at that type of game.

also, i agree with random10122, buildings would make it better...
    Message on a gravestone: I finished before you in the human race.

Using: Flash MX

Well done, the game is good, and fast, but I agree with random10122, and thehumanchimp if you add more builds or enemies you can add more challenge and fun.

I would also have to agree with random10122. Having enemies that shoot at you would make this a lot more exciting. Maybe slow down the speed just a tad, because I had to keep my aimer thingy at the very bottom of the screen just to be able to react to where the sodiers were coming from. One last thing, if you add enemies and stuff, you could have a health system instead of a timer, or maybe decrease the time a little everytime your hit or something. Great work so far, keep it up.

I was confused as I didnt see any bullets or anything. Some flames perhaps out of the gun? And its too fast for me.

Good job!!!

it's a pretty cool game.

It's nice so far, although i do agree with Tony that it's to fast. The difference between your game and the cow game is that your game will be full of action, so the people who play your game should be able to vieuw all the action. The cow game is more of an small arcade game with only 1 objective, it should be fast.

Also, because it was too fast, I had to keep my cursor on the lower edge whole the time, that's not good

Good luck,
    SaphuA

If you did it in actionscript, how about making the speed adjustable? Either user controlled, or a shooter 'on rails' style, accelerate to the next area, and then slow down when you get to the enemies.

I fixed the gun, when you fire, you see bullets and a bit o' flash from the barrels, I added buildings but quickly removed them, that is going to be something I need to refine. Now you can shoot your "friends" once you've shot them before, you lose points (It's disrespectful to shoot your fallen comrades), but if you hit the enemy more than once, you only receive that one initial point.

I am exhausted but over the next few days I will try to make additional improvements, I'll probably redo the graphics when I get back from vacation. Tell me what you guys think of the speed, I slowed it a bit. Thanks for all the feedback so far.

IRONCLAW that is one impressive score.

PENLEEKI, I think I will have multiple levels with varying speeds. But maybe I will implement your idea of having a slow/fast area with fewer/more enemies. I like that.

RANDOM101022, I do not know how I will have enemies that fire up at you, I am not sure what I would hittest against, maybe the "target"? I'll think about it, I am afraid the game may come to a crawl if I add that capability. I will try it in the future though.

TONYPA, I hope your next experience will be better. The speed was nearly ridiculous before.

Thanks.
    Last edited by kendude; 05-16-2004 at 10:52 PM.

The speed is much better now. I don't like the bullets though, because the enemy dies before the bullet hits him, so it looks weird. And besides, you cant see bullets anyways. I would recommend just having the little fire thingy and get rid of the bullets.

Still missing those alternative objects, get some tanks and barracks in there... also the ability to shoot missiles

Ironclaw has a brilliant score, but you should probably reset the board because it will be impossible for anyone to beat it with the blood bug removed .

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter

Crickey... it's definitely impossible to beat Ironclaw's scrore with the "1 point per click on enemy" bug removed. I was pushing it to get 111. So yes, a score reset would be fair

I am sorry, but I did reset the highscore board. IRONCLAW, everyone here knows what you got.

Buildings: I tried them but I did not like the perspective of them, they are possible but will remain out of the game until I can do it better.

Bullets: I kept them for now, they are more of a "tracer", or a visual cue. Less than realistic, but my thoughts are, when you hit the trigger, mad bullets get unleashed in "real life", so the same here (sort of?). The first bullet out of the barrel kills Johnny Enemy, yet more bullets follow suit. Maybe I should speed them up? I got mixed reviews on the bullets, If more people say "Hey, those bullets are crazy wack!", I'll remove them.

I reduced the amount of time for the game, I did not want anyone falling asleep. Especially since there are no other objects to serve up variety and offer additional challenge.

Missiles will be in when I add back the buildings.

Thanks everyone, let's see that highscore board light up. Apache Attack updated again

Bob got a mysteriously high score, 10000. Hmmmnn...What do we think happened?

Probably just got a twitchy index finger - helps on these types of games

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter