A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash MX 2004 Pro Hiccups

Flash MX 2004 Pro Hiccups

Hey guys.. Got a quick question about a problem you may have run into before..

I have a brand new box at work that I put together myself. System can't be much older than a month. Anyways, my problem is that just the other day I turned on the computer, started to work on a file in flash and noticed that when I would scrub through the timeline when animations happened it got REALLY slow. I'm not talking about 15 frames per second slow. I mean it would literally just stop moving and then jerk to the next rendered frame 3 seconds later.. or until there was a spot with no animation.. Before this flash ran like a dream on my system.. Nothing to my knowledge was changed on the system as noone else uses it but me... Here are the specs..

processor - Athlon 64 3200+
    mobo - Abit KV8-MAX3
    video - Matrox P650
    memory - 1GB Corsair PC3200 (2x512)
    hard drive - 74GB WD Raptor SATA HD
    burner - NEC ND-2500A DVD burner
    sound card - SB Audigy 2 ZS

when I put the box together I made sure I installed all the latest drivers from manufacturers websites as well as the latest via 4in1's, directx, etc.

Once the computer was setup everything ran flawless.. It's been great so far, I just don't understand why all of a sudden I turn on the computer and there are these severe hiccups in flash that never go away.

The other odd thing is that all other apps/programs I use run just like they always have.. Seems like flash is the only culprit.

I tried re-installing my video drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling flash, checking for viruses.. nothing helped.. I could always format and reinstall but I'd rather not spend the hours it takes to do all that if you guys have a solution..

A couple things to note:

- I AM working on a file that before ran perfect and never had problems with it, so it's not the particular file that would be causing the issue. (I also tried loading other files with animations and had the same issue)

- When these hiccups happen, my CPU usage in task manager spikes to 100%..

- I have virtually nothing run in the background or at startup. Just required stuff

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide as I'm stumped.

Adam

have you checked for the sasserB worm? I know that definitely slows down (and crashes) apps that are running. Not sure that all the anti-virus recognise it, so might be worth checking for it specifically.

JennyJ

I have not had any issues with flash crashing, just the hiccups i mentioned.. Also, I have no issues with any other programs.. photoshop/internet explorer/illustrator included.. I will check for the worm tho and reply back.

Adam

interesting.. very interesting indeed.. I did some quick tests and found out that when tweening anything but text, the framerate is perfectly smooth.. no hiccups.. but when text is tweened.. watch out.. framerates down to a crawl and huge hiccups.. the only thing however that was changed that would effect that are the fonts i installed the other day.. I installed all the fonts off of fontfolio, but what I don't understand is, why would this cause an issue?? why would installing more fonts cause this kind of slowdown in a file with a block of text only containing one font? is there a workaround for this? or do any of you have similar issues with using a lot of fonts?

thanks,
    Adam

sorry for all the posts...'

Problem Solved.

I deleted a bunch of fonts i installed that I'm not using at the moment, and this alleviated the problem.. Anyone know why having too many fonts installed would cause this problem in flash?? I would like to have a bunch of fonts installed for when I want to mess with them in photoshop or whatever, but if it causes this issue in flash, I can't keep them installed.. hmmm

thanks for all the help