A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Midi?

Midi?

HI,

Would anyone have any views on if they think Macromedia will impliment midi in Flash sometime soon?

I think it crazy that Flash does not have this feature already. I know you can do it on the web via php. What I would like to see is Flash accept input via midi aswell.

Should I be looking elsewhere if I want this or do you think that it might happen in the next year or so?

Cheers
    Calvin

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    You could convert it to mp3. Thats the best suggestion I could make. Macromedia probably thinks the same way and thats why its not implemented. But thats just a guess.

True, but I would like to start making a musical app with this feature, it's not to play back music. It doesn't have to have midi, but it would be nice if it did.
    Calvin

You mean like to use flash to make a midi compatible music program? That's what I've been trying to figure out!

Midi playback requires access to the sound card in a manner that flash would consider a security breach. Ergo If you are thinking of using the flash standalone player for conversion to exe, forget it.

Some third party stand alone programs can access the midi out however it's never as simple as it seems. You may find yourself writing dll files first then using fscommands to access the .dll.

It's a long hard journey with no promise of success.
    Best of luck.

Also,,, thread moved the coffee lounge is for non-technical threads.

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    Hey Frets, notice this is a three and a half year old thread. I hope Calvin isn't still waiting for an answer.