A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Easing in movie clip is slowing rest of swf

Easing in movie clip is slowing rest of swf

I have a flash project that I am working on that includes a movie clip that uses easing on motion tweens to help make the motion more natural. This is all well and good, it is just that the easing is also affecting everuthing else in the swf. The mouse slows way down, all other motions are slowing as well.

Is there any way to prevent the easing in the movie clip from affecting everything else?

resident azhole
    I've never run into this problem.

Is the graphic that your easing large in file size?
    Maybe the large file size is slowing processing speed?
    i think i can, i think i can

Yes.

look at www.mochajumbies.com

On the first screen that comes up, the mouse and the amimated logo perform fine.

After you click on the compass, the "waves" come on. That is the movie clip. What it actually is, is a still photo sliced into 3 pieces. The wave part uses 2 copies of the same wave moving back and forth. The easing takes place as the wave washes up on the sand and then retreats.

Notice there that the logo is slower, and the mouse becomes noticeably slower and erratic. I recently added the "hotspot at the mouse logo's feet to help indicate where the mouse hotspot is. That also added to the slowing.

Do you know if easing on one part of the flash project usually affects the rest or not? This is the first time I have ever used easing on a tween. I have searched the web for similar questions, but havent found anything.

Thanks

resident azhole
    I have a feeling it's not the easing...just the file size of that water/wave graphic that you're using. You should optimize it for web in photoshop (or like program) and get the file size down as much as possible.

Get it around 30k and you should be good.
    i think i can, i think i can

That leads me to another problem with this. I use Fireworks from Macromedia as my graphic editing program. I broke the still photo into 3 pieces. The sky, the water, and the sand. On the water part, I removed the sand, so that the bottom-left portion of the graphic is transparent.

I then export the graphic from Fireworks. As far as I can tell, PNG and GIF are the 2 formats that Flash will take that will allow me to keep the transparency. The gif makes a lot bigger swf file size even though the file size of the graphic is much smaller then a PNG32 or PNG8.

Any ideas on how to optimize better using a partially transparent graphic?

In the library, I right clicked on the graphic, selected properties, then checked OFF the "use document default quality" check box. I put the quality clear down to 30. THe swf file size dropped from 146k to 122k. The wave doesnt look too bad.