A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Finding get URL command

Finding get URL command

I really have looked here on flash kit but I dont see what I need. I simply want to know how to get to the actions window so I can add the get URL command. I have tried to find the modify>instance, but I dont see it. I have made the button and now I just want to know how to make it to where when I click on it, it could send them to a webpage or to email me. Thanks for any help.

Left-Handed Flash User mickbrit55's Avatar
    Hiya

It's under WINDOW > ACTIONS ... or press F9.

Mick

Re: Finding get URL command

Originally posted by mickbrit55
    Hiya

It's under WINDOW > ACTIONS ... or press F9.

Mick
    Okay thanks, I see that. But out of all of those functions (Global functions, Global statements, Statements, Operators, ect) Which one contains the Get URL command?
    Last edited by Daboarder; 05-26-2004 at 01:18 PM.

Hiya

Use "Expert Mode", you will get to know ActionScript faster that way. At the top right of the actions panel click the icon there to switch to Expert Mode.
    The getURL function for your button should look something like this :

on(release) {
    getURL("myPage.html", "_blank");
    }

You can also load a jpeg file with getURL.

Mick

Originally posted by mickbrit55
    Hiya

Use "Expert Mode", you will get to know ActionScript faster that way. At the top right of the actions panel click the icon there to switch to Expert Mode.
    The getURL function for your button should look something like this :

on(release) {
    getURL("myPage.html", "_blank");
    }

You can also load a jpeg file with getURL.

Mick
    It worked! Ok, but when making a website, would you still just insert the name of the site you have such in the example where "myPage.html" Was? Once it is uploaded to a server, it will still link to that page since it is named myPage? I just was asking because I do now want any dead links.Also, I notice that after I press in the button and release it, it opens the .html like you said, but it keeps the window with the button open. How do you make it to where when you click it, it will open the page, then close out of the window with the button you pressed? And you mentioned that I could load jpeg files with it. How could you do this?
    Thanks man, you rock! I really appreciate you spending your time to help

Last edited by Daboarder; 05-26-2004 at 05:32 PM.

Hiya

Yes, getURL will open any webpage, just put in the name of the page to load in place of where I put "myPage.html". See the part that says "_blank" ? You can change that to "_self" and the new page will replace the current page. You can also make a button that will make the users email program pop up with your (or any) email address in the "To" field :

on(release) {
    getURL("mailto:mickbrit55@comcast.net");
    }

As for loading a jpeg, I got confused with another post I was answering ... BUT ... if you have a webpage with a jpeg in it, you can load that using getURL too.

Good luck
    Mick

Thanks man! I really appreciate this. I will have to put your name somewhere in the credits for my site. I think this will be the last question. Okay I see that you have to make the document in flash atleast as big as the window will be, or it will resize itself to fit the window (in my case that meant losing quality. Well I have gotten to where thats not okay. But now the thing is when I export the document as a image or as a movie, the buttons seem to shift up maybe by a pixel. If you want a example, I will have to send it. Or maybe you know what I am talking about? I notice though that when I zoom in, then that mess up dissappears, the buttons go back like they are supposed to.
    Last edited by Daboarder; 05-27-2004 at 04:53 PM.