A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XBOX2 could play PC games...

XBOX2 could play PC games...

guess this is Microsoft's way of saying to Infinium Labs... we can do you one better...

It's still all speculation though.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Yeah, I'd like to see that run on a PPC core. Xbox2 is starting to smell more and more like a debacle.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

the gaming industry is becoming all about the hardware, when it should be all about the games.

that is lame

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Originally posted by PAlexC
    Yeah, I'd like to see that run on a PPC core. Xbox2 is starting to smell more and more like a debacle.
    all it takes is a recompile for the most part.

or they actually use some of their recent acquisitions, such as VirtualPC, and built into the runtime, or real-time, OS portions/kernel that does x86 emulation... ok, how's that for speculation?

So it will have a hard disk then.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

MS, Sony, Nintendo have to talk about the hardware, game developers then have to think about games for that hardware. (Yes, I know that MS, Sony & Nintendo do games, too)

Or do you wanna have the same hardware for the next twenty years?

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

Originally posted by PAlexC
    So it will have a hard disk then.
    The article talks about a second version of the X-Box 2 (similar like the PS2 has the PSX as a second version). The normal version is still expected to be as cheap as possible without a HD. Don't expect the second version to be cheap.

Fredi

Originally posted by Subway
    The article talks about a second version of the X-Box 2 (similar like the PS2 has the PSX as a second version). The normal version is still expected to be as cheap as possible without a HD. Don't expect the second version to be cheap.

Fredi
    That's just f*cking gay.

You practically do now Subs. In a vapor sort of way. If you walk between the game shelves at Blockbuster, the x-box and ps2 shelves are near identicle. You can throw a dart in the dark to pick your systems now because it wont really matter.

A $600 PC? Not a bad grab imo. It would be the first clear sign that the console devs are waking up and realizing there is more to offer with a HD and a connect. Not to meantion a mouse and keyboard. I've felt for years that Nintendo should make their next console a PCI card/face plate combo for your PC. It would still get its own power but utilize your vid card and HD. The faceplate would be for the controller ports/memory cards. Some games are more fun with a controller and that's the only reason I would buy a console version over a PC. You know the PC versions of Rockstar games are just as ready to go as the console version, it's just marketing that forces them to hold of on releasing it until the 'gotta have its' have had time to get tired of the PS2 version. So it seems to me the only gap is in the PC game pad market.

The PC game market is going downhill for some time now and the most complains I heard about the X-Box is that the X-Box has nearly the same games as the PC (Or that games are delayed on the PC because of the X-Box).

I had good hope for MS after they decided to go with a PowerPC based system, but that hope is gone. For someone like me that don't like FPS and similar games, the X-Box is not very atractive anyway.

Fredi

Agreed. Again it comes down to the games. It seems there are more gameing platforms than there are viable genres. The stagnation stems from cowardly funders too afraid to spend the required amount of money on a "new idea". So the industry has been reduced to: running & shooting, driving, leveling, and zerging.

Certain genres proove to be more profitable and the others fall away much like musicals are no longer part of the main movie genres.

It's going to take independent minds and artists to kick gaming in the ass again, much like the White Stripes and Tarantino did to their industries.

I really think game developers are focused too much on realism and gore. It gets old real quick. I played the voodoo vince demo, it's a simple game, but has swingin' music and is stylistically a lot of fun to look at. So was Zelda: The Wind Waker.

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    I don't know why the xbox took such flak for being like a computer. Really, its no more like a computer than any other console? A hard drive? Well the memory card is nothing more the console version of the 3.5" floppy. Because its Microsoft? Sony makes more computer hardware than MS.

Word has it games are going to be cut down to one file, with no install required... mac style. If they add the xbox as one of the hardware recommendations, or if developers add something in to detect what is running the game then I see this being a strong possibilty. I do however doubt it will run every game.

On a side note, I'd like to thank sega for not following the convensions of the industry, dispite the financial hits they've been taking.

Originally posted by pooon
    I don't know why the xbox took such flak for being like a computer.
    It's because of the many games that are very similar to PC games.

Fredi

only issue I truly have with the XBOX is how huge it is.

still own one though.

Unless your realy tight for storage or are planning on traveling with it the size dosn't realy hold that much importance. I hate the controls, to bulky...
    subgenius.com

gerbick: why do u have issue w/ the size of the xbox? its not like its meant to be portable..

although that would be cool.. a small portable dvd compatable version w/ a LCD to take on trips
    http://www.cafeshops.com/insomz
    hats n' tshirts

it doesn't fit in the audio/video shelf I used to have. it went on top. that's my issue with the size. so I bought a newer, wider a/v shelf.

and I travel with my xbox a lot. got a carrying case that's not so bad.

lol just write microsoft and tell them from now on they need to contact you for quality control to make sure all products jive with your funiture. lol
    http://www.cafeshops.com/insomz
    hats n' tshirts

they need to work with ikea to make "xbox compatible" furniture.

hmmmm. now that's an actual good idea.