dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: mosaic pixel fade effect

mosaic pixel fade effect

hi all,

i've been searching for a while trying to find a way to replicate a mosaic pixel fade effect that is used on http://www.pinkfloyd.co.uk site, in the "echos" subsection (the 3rd album cover). if you look at the way the thumbnails and all other pictures fade in, you can see the form of a shrinking mosaic starting with solid color and then dividing to get to the final picture. I've seen one example of this, but in that case the person had manually created the stages of the transformation for each file. I want to know if there is any way of achieving this for all pictures (ie using actionscript)

thanks alot

The site that you mentioned created an image and a pixelated image. Then an alpha fade was used to go from a solid color to the pixelated image to the original image.

The fades can be done in actionscript, but the pixelation must be pre-defined. Actionscript has no abilities to manipulate images, so you'll need to save a pixelated version as well as the regular version and do a simple fade between them

In photoshop, you go to Filter>Pixelate>Mosaic, et voila.
    hello.