A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Yet another Sound Sync question...

Musician/Sound Engineer

Yet another Sound Sync question...

Ok, I know we have all been through this a hundred times but here's the deal.
    I have seen a lot of flash movies that have an entire song playing in sync with the animation (3-4 minutes in length). I know that the song is Not 'Streamed', because the quality is way too good. These are huge movies, sometimes over 30-40MB in size.
    I had an idea to try to build the movie with audio set to stream so I could lineup my images correctly, easy enough. But then delete the sound layer so I would be left with just the animation that matches the audio. Save this and publish.
    Then make a new movie with just the audio, same Fps, same everything as the other. Set the audio to 'start' or 'event', then save and publish.
    Now, start another new file with just a button that will load both the movies. In theory these should have the exact same properties, same fps, same number of frames ect... and they do!
    So why when I test the button do they not match? The audio quality is there but the sync is not.

I want to know how to do this with flash only. No third party ware. I know it can be done but I still cannot get it right.
    I've read all there is to know about sound in flash and everything says 'Stream' if you want sync. Well, I've seen and heard differently.
    (flash mx)

Anyone tried the 'Nullsound' technique. This is streaming a .1 sec wav file (looped the length of the movie). And setting the real audio track to 'event'. In theory 'fooling' the movie settings.

Anyone?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by launchpad67a; 05-31-2004 at 04:26 PM.

i may be confused here but why would a streamed song imply low quality? I assume when you say 30mb files that it's for offline, why not just use a high quality stream? even if it is for online if you had a preloader the 'streamed' tune would be loaded, not streamed.
    Evolve Designs Interactive Media
    the natural selection

Musician/Sound Engineer
    Thanks Evolve,
    Actually those large movies are online, believe it or not. I have a fast connection and it still takes about 10 minutes to load. My point is I don't want files that large and if they are streamed they must be set around 128kbps to get that quality. It's only flash that makes streaming quality a problem with audio. I stream mp3's all day long with fine quality, I just don't understand how to get that with flash and acceptable file sizes?

Mike