A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Help] ISO World Editor

The Last Starfighter

[Help] ISO World Editor

I am having trouble in creating a ISO editor for my rooms in the game. The only example I could find that was open source was OOS' but it is only TBW. I can't seem to incorporate OOS' example into an isometric editor. If anyone knows how to do this easily I would be eternally greatful.

all of the maps are the same in dimensions 16x12. I just can't get it to draw anything. I'm totally lost.

I know creating an editor takes little time but I could you a little help. I wish I had an example to show you but I don't.

Check out mappy at http://www.tilemap.co.uk/

It handles iso maps ( Dunno how well to be honest ).

Squize.

The Last Starfighter
    I have that DLed on my computer. I can't seemed to find out how to export the map in TXT format. Unless I am missing something on it.

You have to use the scripting language ( LUA ? ) to write your own export module, although I'm sure it comes with a sample Flash one by Andre.

Squize.

Wasn't Tom working on a map editor, or was that you Squize?

Damn my memory is bad...

jtnw

The Last Starfighter
    I don't know that much about LUA to make a script in it. Anyone got something that can give me a hand.

Tom was / is jtnw but only for 2D maps the last time I saw it.

Lux had a neat iso map editor for 2K, but I'm not sure if that's available or not ?

Samus just look through the examples included with mappy, and for examples ( Of LUA ) on line.
    It's not too hard to do, the only thing is the lack of debug output with mappy.

Squize.

The Last Starfighter
    ok then man! I'll give it a try if you say it ain't too hard to understand.

I was lucky enough to have Lux's help on an iso thing I did when he was building the first batch of environments for 2K. At the time he was using a modified version of the jail***** tile editor with his own tiled iconic representations of what his iso tiles would look like from above.

If you think about it, building a world in isometric is still 2D because you can only ever have 1 tile in a vertical column - so if you're really stuck and just want to get cracking on building worlds, then create a quick set of 32x32 tiles to represent your isometric set, and then build the world in a standard tile editor. Not the cleanest solution, but it'll get you creating your worlds straight away.

The Last Starfighter
    you that idea is very good. I am going to give it a try. Thanks for the idea