A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Funny Italian Factoid?? (Is it true?)

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar

Funny Italian Factoid?? (Is it true?)

Okay, I recently heard the following and I'm not sure if it is true or simply a good sophism, but it was interesting and so anyways here goes..

Why are so many Italians (at least from past generations) named Tony??

During the largest Italian immigration period (the time when the most Italians moved to the US) the majority of Italians landed in Staten Island, New York, to form large Italian communities.

The majority of Italians didn't speak any english, or anything but italian for that matter, and thus had great difficulty interacting with those who did not speak Italian.

Upon getting off the boats, these Italians were forced to register with government officials (who kept track of who was coming into the country).

To get people to register, these officials would call out Italian names in their thick english accents with horrible pronunciation, and many Italians were unable to realize their name was being called. Therefore at the end of role call, a group of Italians were often left, not realizing their name had already been called, and the officials would then decide to register them as new citizens.

Now, every Italian destined for Staten Island had a sticker put on their shirt showing TO NY (meaning "to New York"). When the government official called their Italian names they did not respond, so instead he would just point and say "Hey you, Tony" and register the person as Tony.

Even more common, if unable to pronounce or understand the person's last name, they would instead put down where they came from instead. So "Tony, where you from??" "I'm from Roma" Okay, you new name is Tony Roma (To New York From Rome)

If it's not true, its still a neat story.
    Any one else got something similiar?

Tony is short for anthony, which is still one of the most popular names in italy, so I don't think that's true, though a lot of immigrants were given their place of origin as a family name (at least that's what tom brokaw said on his narrated tour of ellis island).

I heard this the other day. I always thought Tony was short for Anthony. I'm Italian, there's no one in my family named Tony.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were true though.

"What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar
    Originally posted by aversion
    Tony is short for anthony, which is still one of the most popular names in italy.
    Your probably right, then again it is weird when a lot of brothers, and cousins still have the same name (not in this generation but past generations). I mean I know the name is popular, but unless your George Foreman, this must get confusing.

Originally posted by flipshark
    Your probably right, then again it is weird when a lot of brothers, and cousins still have the same name (not in this generation but past generations). I mean I know the name is popular, but unless your George Foreman, this must get confusing.
    Obviously you don't have any Italian Uncles. I've got a ton of uncles Tony, Joe, and Louie. None of them immigrated through Staten Island and a lot of them still live in Italy.

It's an urban myth.

d.
    dlowe93

Fornication Under Control of the King?

true or false?

Originally posted by asun2art
    Fornication Under Control of the King?

true or false?
    False.

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/****.htm

Sorry.

d.
    dlowe93

tony is just a younger anthony...thats all(this is very common with latin names). but staten island DID cause a lot of family names to be altered, usually family names - this either happened because the immigrant couldnt read or write or just callousness on the immigration authorities behalf...

there is website that talks about the changed names, and some of the entries you can see the officer started to write, became frustrated and wrote something else similiar next to the scratched out name, ill post it if i can find it. Geneaology.com has a good section on this...

and the f word is german, any german can tell you what ficht dich is...

webcorps... Ich habe das verstehen. Ich kann auch Deutsche sprechen.

although not as good as I used to.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

ja, ich kann kleine deutches auch sprechen...

ok, my german is HORRIBLE, I dont use it much anymore...i doubt that sentence even makes sense...

and no it has nothing to do with "little germans"...

I'm Italian (born south of Rome) and live in Australia.....My name is short for Anthony. Anthony goes way back to Ceasers house, and maybe further, I dunno

But thats an interesting story...it could be true for some in Staten Island.

Tony