dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 640x800

resolved

I am a designer for this website @ http://members.dingoblue.net.au/~huyhoang/ygals and it still under construction using all FLash. Under the link "What it meant to be a Ygals", at the bottom of the page I had some links to different personel. For those with big monitor it's fine because you can view the entire site without scrolling up and down But my problem is that for those with a small monitor like 640x480, people have to scroll up to the top of the page everytime they press the link. I think it would be more effective if they click on the link then some how the browser just scroll all the way to the top of the page. Eg: A movie @ 640x2000. I'd like to move from the bottom of 640x2000 to 640x1 position in the same movie without open a new page. With HTML it much easier but i like to know can i do it in Flash.

Ps. I am not talking about fitting the whole movie in one screen because it would be toooo small to read. I try to target new URL but that will bring me to the main movie and will lost the current movie. I hope some one can understand what i tyr to express koz my english is a bit poor

Thank you

Dreamer

Beyond the Sea

hmm...

well, most people know if there's a scrollbar on the right, there is more content down below and they will scroll.

But, perhaps a little re-working of the design is in order. What size is your font? Possibly make it a point or 2 smaller. If you want it all in "first view" you will have to re-work it. Or, you could have flash scroll the content. Build the flash piece at a size that will fit all in the top and build a scrolling text movieclip that will allow people to see additional text but still have the links right there to click on.

At webmonkey, they have a great chart of exactly how big your pages can be to fit in the browser window:
    http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...html?tw=design

look around that whole webmonkey article, and the whole site, for some great tips and tricks.

hope this helps,
    Rich

Re: hmm...

Thanks for replying my post. I did implement the scroll ot the movie but the client ask not to because 2 scrolling bar can confuse the viewer. Is there anyway to use flash to control the browser scrolling without exitting the movie ??

-------

Originally posted by Kraken
    well, most people know if there's a scrollbar on the right, there is more content down below and they will scroll.

But, perhaps a little re-working of the design is in order. What size is your font? Possibly make it a point or 2 smaller. If you want it all in "first view" you will have to re-work it. Or, you could have flash scroll the content. Build the flash piece at a size that will fit all in the top and build a scrolling text movieclip that will allow people to see additional text but still have the links right there to click on.

At webmonkey, they have a great chart of exactly how big your pages can be to fit in the browser window:
    http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...html?tw=design

look around that whole webmonkey article, and the whole site, for some great tips and tricks.

hope this helps,
    Rich

Beyond the Sea

hmm

I know you can scroll the window with javascript. Maybe call a javascript function from flash that moves to the bottom of the page...

the only problem is I don't know how exactly to do this.

anyone else with some ideas?
    Rich

Re: hmm

I finally found the answer to my own problem. I think...

In flash it put:

On (Press)
    Go to and Stop ("Claire Treadgold")
    Get URL ("javascript:setFieldValue()")
    End On

In the html it put:

<HEAD>
    <TITLE>Ygals</TITLE>

<script language="JavaScript">
    function setFieldValue() {

window.scrollTo(0,0)
    }
    </script>
    </HEAD>

Now it work both in IE and Netscape. If anyone have better way then please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Kraken
    I know you can scroll the window with javascript. Maybe call a javascript function from flash that moves to the bottom of the page...

the only problem is I don't know how exactly to do this.

anyone else with some ideas?
    Rich
    [Edited by d_dreamer on 11-17-2000 at 09:41 AM]