A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: NY Film Festival Site Check

NY Film Festival Site Check

Let me know what you think, remember, we are at the mercy of our client's, and this one wouldn't let me change the camera!www.homefilmfest.com
    WildChili.com

Hello dkriese,

I understand the client demands. We all run into these from time to time. But in this particular case I have a suggestion.... Instead of using the images as jpgs and bmps why not draw them in Swish. You can duplicate them exactly and the file sizes will be soooooo much smaller while making the crispness of your graphics perfect as they will then be vectors! The entire site has nothing that I could see that you could not draw in Swish. :-)

If you need some help with this just ask! I would be glad to assist.

In regard to the rest of the site, I would enlarge the film strip and make the text fit better in it . Rotate the text links to fit with the flow of the film strip.

I would also make the screen a bit larger and use a white/grey gradient instead of the yellow/red. Also your text should fit the same perspective as the screen to be more realistic.

Instead of using a graphic to give the impression of the light from the camera to the screen why not use a white gradient with a alpha value of 50 to 20, with 20 being the end that touches the screen.

You could realy have fun with this site if you draw these things in swish and animate it.

How much time do you have to finish it?

Ms Pamela
    Palette Masters design
    Oentsjerk Netherlands
    http://www.pittypattermarket.com

Home Film fest

The festival is next tuesday, so there it is.

I use photoshop to create my images, as I am a photoshop graphic artist (see www.wildchili.com) and I create all images in PNG so I can set the transparency.

I agree with the size, but the client wanted it that way

I will work on the text strip, good critique there! I wanted it to spring out of the camera sideways (unroll)

The light beam was created in swish.

My computer crashed and I lost everything, I had to import the swf of the site and start all over, excruciatingly painful, learned my lesson to give copies of my work to others for safekeeping.

I do use Swish alot to draw images, where it is simplified, but i prefer photoshop as I have more artistic license, no way could that film strip be created in swish in the amount of time it took me to make it in photoshop, and as we know time is of the essence in some cases.

I love working in Swish, it ease of use, and the imagination it takes to get images created is a challenge.

I actually PAINT my images, they are not squares rectangles and cirlces combined to create, they are painted by hand in photoshop as an artist would use a canvas.

The camera however, is all swish.

I hate being too wordy and I tend to go offf, but I love this forum and everyone of you are the greatest! most helpful, courteous and kind people, I am proud to be among you.
    WildChili.com

I also use Photoshop but I love drawing in Swish. Once you get the hang of it is realy is not a problem! You should try it. In fact to give you an idea I will take 30 minutes and draw your basics elements you have in this movie. :-) Including the filmstrip. But you will have to fill in the details after that!

The holes in the strip are the most time consuming as they have to be put in perspective each and every one of them else they would look like stitching instead of a film strip! LOL

OK Start the clock!

Ms Pamela
    Palette Masters design
    Oentsjerk Netherlands

OK !!! Now you can't complain about a 9k file size!!! LOL that is what the file size is for all your graphics if you do them in swish. And here is the file. finished in one hour.

If I can help you with learning to draw in swish just let me know. In regard to your site, if this is what the client wants then he is the one that you have to please! :-) Best of luck!

FilmFestival

Ms Pamela
    Last edited by MsPamela; 06-08-2004 at 04:56 PM.
    Palette Masters design
    Oentsjerk Netherlands