dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: where do you advertise on the web for your design services?

where do you advertise on the web for your design services?

where do you advertise on the web for your design services?

I used to advertise on craigslist.org, but there's too much lowballing going on.
    seapod00

Re: where do you advertise on the web for your design services?

Originally posted by seapod00
    ...but there's too much lowballing going on.
    This, you will find on any and every freelance, or design/development services, outlet on the web!

As far as online advertising goes, I feel that the web development market is very saturated, and most often not worth the effort. Of course, this is one man's opinion, but the greatest results I have seen in all of my endeavors has been the simple word of mouth from satisfied clients. Perhaps others have found some success in advertising themselves on the web, but I would venture to say the results are not very large.

I've found this too. I just wanted to take advantage of free advertising that might be effective.

fthanks.
    seapod00

other than word of mouth, another great offline form of advertising is writing articles to be published in a local newspaper. You simply write a compelling (and not technical) article, strictly following the guidlines of a press release and send it to local newspapers.

Small advertisements in a newspaper can be $100-200/week for a small text ad, and usually they require something like an 8 week run minimum. Writing articles is free (I know not completely free because you spend time writing it, but you know what i mean), is noticed much more and makes you more credible.

If you were looking for a web developer who would you choose? A small text ad in a newspaper saying "we design websites! call us..." or weekly, fortnightly, or monthly developer writing articles (that you like) in the newspaper? I know for a fact i would go with the latter. Being published looks much better than paying to get an ad in the newspaper.
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    I just wanted to take advantage of free advertising that might be effective.
    if it was effective it would not stay free long.

writing articles for the news paper. That is a great idea.

thanks MG

The notion of portraying yourself through the media as an expert is probably an effective way to market services.

what sort of topics would you consider writing about in the local paper? what would an audience of non technical folks be interested in learning about regarding the web?

Another approach would be to set up a 4 hour work shop that is free for members of a local business group and discuss some aspect of web development that is relevant to the non technical business person.

Just not sure what topics would be good. (make sure you are ready for tricky questions from your competition's heckler out in the crowd)
    aviarts.com - web development and flash development

Originally posted by hp3
    what sort of topics would you consider writing about in the local paper? what would an audience of non technical folks be interested in learning about regarding the web?
    Non-technical audiences would be interested in what everyone else is interested in... "How can I make my business make money for me?" The answer is not just one, but many ways... those ways are what you would write about... here's some...
    1)Guerilla marketing in an ecommerce world
    2)10 ways to grab your website visitors attention
    3)Three surefire reasons you are losing business with your website
    4)Underwater Basketweaving for Idiots(subtitle... "Teaching the unteachable")
    5)5 ways to increase your business' revenue right now
    etc...
    Another approach would be to set up a 4 hour work shop that is free for members of a local business group and discuss some aspect of web development that is relevant to the non technical business person.
    Right on... In the past, we have done exactly that. In fact, we are fleshing out the details of providing this again very soon... however, we are charging for our expertise. The subject we are considering is Web Marketing and Internal SEO, since this is quickly becoming a relationship-driven marketing method, and any business with a website (or that needs one, hint-hint) will value from. Not only do you profit from the seminar revenue (not much, but hey...) you also gain several 'hot' contacts that you already know are interested in web-enabled/web-driven marketing.

Great ideas up there, guys.

I firmly believe that word-of-mouth advertising is the best and often solely successful advertising method in the design industry.
    I really enjoy forgetting. When I first come to a place, I notice all the little details. I notice the way the sky looks. The color of white paper. The way people walk. Doorknobs. Everything. Then I get used to the place and I don't notice those things anymore. So only by forgetting can I see the place again as it really is.

Originally posted by Ultima Designs
    I firmly believe that word-of-mouth advertising is the best and often solely successful advertising method in the design industry.
    I agree...

even though I'm out of the game (pursuing different study), I was surprised just how much demand there are for print/web works (again!)...

I've recently helped out a buddy of mine at univ. with sponsorship initiatives.... simple branding work and print package... it SOMEHOW was passed around beyond target audience, and I have had companies trying to contact 'the author' (me, author? LOL) through my buddy for interviews and evaluations....

weird, when I try to land a job, I always luck out, and when I dont need one, and can't really take up a job (study), I get offers..

i guess that counts as word of mouth? LOL.

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    I will ask a satified custmoer if there is anyone they know that may be interested in my services.

this is the single most successfull source of new business that i have.