A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Training a Salesman

Training a Salesman

Im looking to train a salesman to market my CD Business Cards, Web Design, and Multi-media presentations. The sales man doesn’t know anything about my line of work, so im going to give a training course. Ive already gotten the point across of the image I want my company to have, I just have to be able to train him in what I do, to be able to sale. Not so much to be able to do the work, but understand what I do. If there is any articles or something that would help me, I would appreciate this, and post back my feedback for the community. Thanks in advance!
    UPS' official RIPP-OFF
    See full complaint here > www.actionfx.net/complaint.htm

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    if you need to train the sales guy to sell, you got the wrong salesperson.

the sales guy should be the door openner, and should have a single meeting on his own with potential clients witht the sole aim of getting a second meeting for you. This screens all the unwanted meetings out for you.

Im not wanting to train the sales person, at sales. I want to train my salesperson in what I do.
    UPS' official RIPP-OFF

I have been through this.

my experience was that the salesguy had to just get me qualified leads, so all i had to do was talk technology.

Things such as price, timelines ect were dealt with by the sales guy.
    Last edited by OddDog; 06-07-2004 at 09:59 AM.

Well, I can understand that happening, however I want my sales man to do all of that. So, I can do the work. Thanks for that option though, I will deffinitely consider that.
    UPS' official RIPP-OFF

would be interested in your idea, if you can train the guy properly. Tell us how you do it

Ok, Ill do that, and if any comes up with some ideas, Im all open. I will post back my results in about 3 weeks.
    UPS' official RIPP-OFF

A couple of years ago, I nearly employed a team of marketing experts to promote my services. The reason I ended up declining was only because I was decided to go back to full-time employment for the stability, and to recover from a devastating medical condition my wife had suffered.
    However, what this team offered was very tasty... I definitely would have pursued it, had I been so inclined to stay freelance.

Here's the deal...
    • As part of a nationwide corporation, this 'regional' sales team promoted products/services for both national and local businesses
    • They would work for a flat-fee (per sale) or commission, based on whatever agreement you settle on
    • the client (me) would provide them with all sales materials, and would train their 'Trainer' in depth
    • Their 'trainer' would develop a sales strategy based on their proven experience
    • Their 'Trainer' would then train their sales staff, and send their force out into whatever region they were over
    • In comes the sales and the money... remember these salesmen ONLY get paid when and if they sell... what motivation!
    • If the campaign goes well, and the client(me) has the capacity to increase output, the possibility existed to move the campaign to a national level.

This appeared to be quite a lucrative proposition, and I was quite confident it would work.

Re: Training a Salesman

Originally posted by CNL83
    Im looking to train a salesman to market my CD Business Cards, Web Design, and Multi-media presentations. The sales man doesn’t know anything about my line of work, so im going to give a training course. Ive already gotten the point across of the image I want my company to have, I just have to be able to train him in what I do, to be able to sale. Not so much to be able to do the work, but understand what I do. If there is any articles or something that would help me, I would appreciate this, and post back my feedback for the community. Thanks in advance!
    OK, to quickly check my understanding - there is a salesperson that you want to retain to conduct sales on your behalf, leaving you free to actually conduct the rest of the business (the design etc.)?

I'm assuming that the sales person in question has been able to provide some evidence of previous sales experience, in particular exceeding revenue or customer number targets? Ideally, the experience will be to your "target" audience - experience of the sector isn't necessary, but it is preferable.

So, with those boxes ticked, it is a matter of providing the sales person with the indepth information about your products, your company and the unique selling points of both. In both of my previous incarnations in sales and design, I found the following approach useful.

1) Define the unique selling points. (what makes your business proposition the best thing since electric toasters)
    2) Define the key features. (What you do, your capabilities)
    3) Define benefits (what this will mean to the customer)
    4) Define pricing (what is the bottom line. The salesperson should understand what this means to them too - commission?)

From these points, you should be able to identify commonly asked questions, and to prepare a crib sheet for the sales person containing the appropriate technical information. Stress that if the question is unusual, that the salesperson can call you and find out for the customer - this is always preferable to the salesperson "guessing".

But the best advice I can give is to sit down with the salesperson, and ask them what they need to know to sell your product, then tell them.

Hope this helps

Jim
    Blog
    What's your $@~**** problem?

Thanks, and beautiful put.

What kind of literature did you give himt to read?
    UPS' official RIPP-OFF

Thanks for the kind words.

In terms of literature, I usually would make something new for each situation. The exact requirements will depend on the products and services that you provide, and the information that the salesperson needs. Like I said in my earlier post, the best way to work out the training material is to sit down with the salesperson, and work through the sales process with them.

Then, dependent on the information, prepare a crib sheet. (Feel free to use your design skills to make it look professional.)

The best advice I can give is to work with your person - they should have some ideas on what they need.
    Blog
    What's your $@~**** problem?

Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

OK....so....I'm a pig... Texas^Trainer's Avatar

another angle...

3) Define benefits (what this will mean to the customer)
    To tackle the "benefits" issue... ask yourself, "what problem am I solving for the potential customers?" "What is their current situation without my services?" "What are the implications to the rest of their business?" "What would their business/problems look like with my services in place?"
    These questions can help you craft specific "Value Statements" that your guy can use to market your product as well as educate him about the potential market opportunities that he can look for where your services are a perfect fit.
    -Tex-

Bringing this topic back to the top just to give an update on how it went for me. Well in the event of training a sales person ground up really didnt work out to good. You have to have someone with the attitude, that they can get business for you wether they know your product or not. The first sales rep I was training had different opinions, and there was a falling out.

I am now working with someone new, and I will post a complete biography of my business adventure once im rolling again.
    UPS' official RIPP-OFF

Sales update

Well the sales person has been active for about a month and a half now. We have a ton of leads, and very good potential customers. We have not landed any jobs yet. Generally when you get a customer that is wanting web site or CD cards your looking at 1-2 months before they actually land. Thats just been my expereince in the past 3 years. So needless to say if you are planning to put a sales rep on staff you need to make arrangements for the above.

Cheers!
    UPS' official RIPP-OFF

From my experience in this area, I'll give you this piece of advice: be sure your salesman understands how to sell an intangible, like technology. When I formed my company, I had a partner who's role was sales. Within a short period of time, we were in the same position, plenty of promising leads and potential customers. But over the ensuing months, he failed to land a single one of them, and eventually stepped out of the business.

What I failed to consider was his sales background. He had always sold tangible products and couldn't make the transition to selling the intangible.
    John Tabita
    Yellow-Tie Int'l - A business-development association
    for people who want to spend more time working with
    customers than selling & marketing to them.