A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Projecter and Swf Problems

Projecter and Swf Problems

Ok, I am kind of having the same problem as another member on here. I notice that his post was similar to the question I am going to ask.

I am putting together a cd with an executable .exe projector file. The file contains information and video etc on 16 bands and artists. The problem I am facing is that I was trying to create this as one large file and then make it in to an .exe. I cant do this as every time I try and create the file it says I am out of memory. The .fla is quite large about 400mb and so the only other thing i can think of would be to split the files up in to seperate swf's.

What I need is a way of calling the other swfs to load from the main artist page. I have a list of artists on the projecter file. From there if there name is cliked i want the swf of that artist to load. I also need a way to then get back to the main projector file from the swf afterwards.

Can anyone tell me how to do this as I am now quite stuck and time is running out for this project.

Also, I have recently purchased MDM Flash Studio Pro 2 although I have not even begun to use it yet. Is it possible or infact more to the point, is it easier to try and use this to comp down the final project?!?

Many thanks
    Cornwall's Christmas Photo Competition - http://www.xmasphotocomp.com

Hi,

Simply create one EXE file and keep the other SWF's (Artist information etc) in a seperate folder called "Artists" for example.

All you need to do then is to use the standard LoadMovie actionscript to load the appropriate movie when the user clicks on a button. eg.

LoadMovie("Artists\\pdiddy.swf",2);

This will load a specific artist SWF into level 2. If you need to unload the movie, simply use the unloadMovie command.

This way, you only have 1 EXE and 1 Folder of subsequent SWF files.

With Flash Studio PRO v2 you can compile all of the SWF's into the main EXE file (so that you don;t need to distribute the folder) but first need to extract them during runtime to the users HD before loading them in. If you want some more help with this, feel free to email me on support@multidmedia.com

Hope this helps!

many thanks for the help!!!

The only issue I have with this is that I wanted to ensure that the whole project was standalone, therefore avoiding the issues that would be faced by anyone who did not have the required Macromedia Plugin necessary to view .swf files.

Is there any way of making the swf standalones and then calling on them using the loadmovie command??

Hi, so long as you have one Projector file (EXE) then that will actually load the additional SWF files, making your application completely Standalone.

thanks once again! How do I unload the movie once I have loaded it?? I have managed to put the loadmovie command in the main projecter file but using the unload command in the swf does not seem to be working....but then again....i am probably doing something wrong! I followed the example you gave in your previous post but how should the code look for the unload movie command in the swf please?

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Load a new movie into the same clip/level will remove what was there before. You may not notice a drop in memory immediately because Flash manages this memory and will free it only when it's good and ready