A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: file size of standalone app.

Maybe I'm missing something very basic....

I made a .swf and it was about 120k. When I published that .swf as a standalone, the standalone was triple the filesize of the .swf alone. Why is that?

-Brigham.

It will always get a little bit bigger because the exe file contains all of you movie plus code to interpret the movie and all that is need to open it, so it will always be a little bit bigger

Thanks.

Any tips on reducing that filesize, other than just optimizing the .swf itself?

-Brigham.

Really it depends on what you are using it for. Are you going to put the exe file on a cd to distribute or on a network. I guess what im trying to ask is why do you need it to be smaller?

I'm thinking about the future -- what if I wanted to make a standalone application that was huge -- with a .swf over 200meg.

Then by making it a standalone, it would triple to over 650 meg or something that might be too much for a CD.

should I not worry?

-Brigham.

no sorry

The information given is wrong (too my knowledge)

When you convert any .swf into a .exe it adds 270 to 300 kb for the viewer that it's the rest is your .swf.. (I forget the exact kb number)

to: The Master

Thank you -- it must have just LOOKED like it tripled my file-size, because an extra 300k adds up to more than 3times the original .swf size of 120k.

If it's true that it only adds another 300k, then I doubt I would ever be making a .swf that was more than 600meg, making the total standalone more than a CD could handle.

Another question -- I haven't used standalone applications or .exe files much at all, and I'm not sure about something. If I make my flash file a standalone application, then burn it to disk, when the user inserts that disk into their CD-ROM drive, will the application automatically launch, like a software installation disk does? And if it doesn't, how can I program it to do that, so the user doesn't have to go to "Start, Run, .. etc."?

Thanks so much.

-Brigham.

http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/ad..._autorun.shtml

If you look at any software cd that autoplay's you'll see a autoplay.ini file on the root of the cd..

You can look at the file in windows notepad and there you can see how it works.. there are a lot of cool things you can do with autoplay I suggest you look at a few cd's code for examples