A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need to add hyperlink to Dynamic Scrolling Text

Need to add hyperlink to Dynamic Scrolling Text

Hi everyone

Happy Friday! First, I would like to thank OldNewbie and Hum for their on-going help with this large project I have been working on. I have learned so much!!

Okay, so now I have this new dilemma...

I would like to add a hyperlink to a few different set of words which are located in a Dynamic Scrolling Text Box. For instance, I list various universities where this dentist attended. He would like the names of the universities to link to their specific individual sites. In my experience, I have always created a button and that is where I add the Action Script.

My question is - do I have to convert the text to a button in order for it to become a hyperlink? Not sure how that would work out since the text sits in the middle of a paragraph.

This is a simple process in straight HTML. Perhaps it is as simple in Flash? I have never run across this before so I am at a loss? I have done some research online as well as consulted my books but I have not found any answers yet.

If you want to see what specifically I am speaking about please visit the Beta site. http://www.denisenielsen.com/varipapa/welcome.html

Please go to "Meet Our Team," then click on Dr. Varipapa. You will see the scrolling text.

Any guidance is much appreciated as usual!!

Thanks!

Denise
    Last edited by pandenwolf; 06-11-2004 at 01:34 PM.

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    what i do is make a blank button, and in the hit frame only, put a square...then put the button that you just made onto the paragraph where the text is at and i stretch it to fit right over the text and then put the getURL in the button...
    ps. the button will appear light transparent green in the shape of it

Ah! Okay, thank you. I will try this!!

Denise

Hi Denise,

the easiest way to have a hyperlink contained in your text is to click the "render text as HTML" button in the properties panel for the text field, and then insert a normal HTML hyperlink in your text. eg:-

PHP Code:
    <b><a href=\"www.yourlink.com\" target=\"_blank\">Your link text</a></b> 
    You can use a number of html tags in your links.

Intravenus
    Last edited by intravenus; 06-11-2004 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks Intravenus!

Your directions worked out perfectly!!

Thanks again!!

Denise

hi, i got a similar problem. Scrolling text with some links in it. But i can t use text links because i need to use a button with some "on mouse over" color change assigned to it. I would usually use a normal button but i don t know how to embed it into the scrolling text or lock it to its relative position in the scrollable text.
    thnx for any ideas.
    no pain no gain

Banned
    You'll have to use the scrollpane, or a custon movie clip scroller, where you can insert pictures, graphics and text...