A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ALternate ways of making a flash site

ALternate ways of making a flash site

I asked about making a 'powerpointish' flash site, and a v.v.noobish question, but what other ways is there to make a whole flash site in one .swf file instead of each page as a .swf?

newayblue.com
    One of the best ways is to have a flash movie that loads in external movies, so you could generally use a different movie for each option on the site, each would preload itself, greatly decreasing the loading time of the main movie and letting you add a little more file size.

Most of my sites are done like this, www.elena-sanchez.com is a good example. Preloading the external movies isnt very easy but I have what I believe to be the best method for download on my site. Go to resources, flash source, then click on external preloader.

Once you get used to creating your flash movies like this it is difficult to do anything else.

If you want any more info on this design method then let me know.

Wonderful!

Thats exactly what im looking for, more details please! (dont mean to be hasty but i've only got the demo of FlashMX and it expires in 6 days!)

If you're willing you cold email me more detailed instructions:
    kiddster2k2@hotmail.com

Cheers.

David, 14

neway i don't get your preloader lol to difficult for me.

newayblue.com
    All you have to do is use the same script in the first frame of the external .swf as I have, and remember not to have anything else in the first frame.

Then you can just copy the preloader bar and the script out of the main movie and off the buttons. Try and make an example yourself then add the preloader and the small movies, If you have any problems send it to me and I will tell you what you are doing wrong or missing out.

ok I need to learn this

the resources is that which is on your site right?...
    The Link Doesn't Work... Do you have another way to D'Load.

Thnx
    Last edited by sunrhythms_13; 06-15-2004 at 09:19 AM.

Ok I need to Learn this AGAIN

How do I program this again...

newayblue.com
    There are two movie clips in the main movie, one of them contains the loader and the other is an empty one that you load the movie into, so it will only appear as a dot when you have the file open in flash.

You need the script that is on the buttons assigned onto your own buttons.
    Copy the two movieclips over to your own movie too.

You now need to create your external movies. Put a stop script in the first keyframe of the external movies and make sure that no graphics are on the first frame, just the script. You can open up the examples in the zip and copy the script out of them.

What happens is the button loads the external movie into the empty movieclip in the main movie. the preloader bar loops, constantly asking how much of the movie has been loaded in. and the bar moves dynamically to whatever the feedback is, to create a nice transitional loading effect. When the length of the loading bar = 100, it tells the movieclip to gotoAndPlay/Stop (2);

So the preloader always loads to the end of the bar, unlike some preloaders, because it is the fact that the bar is 100 pixels long that orders the movie to play, not the fact that the movie has loaded, giving time for the preloader to look effective and complete.

shout me if you need any more info.

FINALLY

thnx ... I got that to work... really wish I understood all that (smelly) as though. lol
    that was some funky action scriptin man.
    My main concern now is to be able to load without a button. that hasn't worked yet.
    and i need to be able to load different areas or parts of different movie clips with mask... got any suggestions. (the use of many floating external preloaders... like small pie slices.)

this is the problem

the pre loader is cool... the thing is when I try to place the action script for the buttons just on the frame it loops... and when I place a stop it doesn't load the preloader but the movie plays fine. ... Im just trying to make on opening scene which is preloaded and then play a back groud to my buttons page. but everything else works fine...

newayblue.com
    There is not much I can do at the moment as my computer isnt working.

If you need different areas, create new empty movieclips and give them different instance names (or copy and paste the one thats there and then put it on a different layre and change its instance name), then you can change the target in the button script.

I have no idea why the script is looping on the main stage. make sure that it is just on one keyframe.