A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Movie Clips as Masks

Movie Clips as Masks

I'm using Flash MX to create an intro animation for an interactive CD ROM that I'm creating in Dircetor 8.5

The problem I am having is that my version of Director only imports Flash up to version 5. When I export my Flash Movie as a Flash 5 swf. I lose some of the masked areas of the animation.

The specific parts that don't work are where I have used a tweened set of shapes in a movie clip as an animated mask. Is this not supported in Flash 5? Any ideas how to get round this??

I don't have an answer for but I wanted to ask you a question. Is using Director still a good option for your projects? Is it still a valuable program?

thanks,

Powersolo
    thanks a million!

This is a difficult question that I have to ask myself at the start of every project like this one! There are definite benefits for me of using Director, I find it a much safer bet when producing standalone presentations, and it's a lot easier to work with video in Director and acheive good results.

I have tried Flash for stand alone presntations but I always end up running into problems that add great chunks of time (and therefore money) onto jobs. I do find Flash much better for doing animations and graphical work though, which is why I tend to mix and match the two, using Director to create the bare bones of the presentation and Flash to do the pretty stuff!!

In the future though, I can see Flash developing itself into a program that will leave Director redundant.

In the future though, I can see Flash developing itself into a program that will leave Director redundant.
    MX 2004 is pretty good, with .FLVs I'm sure MX2006 will be very competitive in this specific field.
    Hariyemadzisawira nhaka yedu! Down the SCUD and win!
    I'm too lazy to read Private Messages.