dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Some concept art, and help request

Some concept art, and help request

Hello guys,

I've been using Flash on and off for about 6 years (since version 4)but i've never attempted to do a propper serious animation, until now!

I've attached a picture or the concept art for my film.. drawn by hand, scanned and then traced over using the brush tool.

Here is the rough idea for my movie:

FPS: 12 (because I will draw most frames I need to keep the FPS low)
    Some tweening will be used, but only for some slow motion shots and zooms etc!

I want to make a short animation about 2 minutes long, which has no dialogue, music and very little story!

It's about a man who's very Peed off about something and beats the crap out of a bunch of guys- lol, YES I know it wont get any Oscar nominations, but I really want to see if I can pull off a decent action sequence and prove to myself that I can animate!

This is sort of like a learning project for me, so please please give me all.. and I MEAN ALL the info you can about animating frame by frame in Flash! lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Flash Rules!

5 time olympic gold medalist fiddlestick5's Avatar
    I'll just give you a step through of what I do when I'm animating fbf (note I'm a little dazed, so this may be a little conjumbled):

1. Draw the first frame- perfectly- every detail intacked.

2.Then, when you get the feel for what you're doing- rough out the next few frames (5-10 [and I mean rough])- Then go over it on another layer and perfect it (this allows you to focus more on motion- and then on detail (in my experience it makes for more accurage animations)

3. (repeat step 2)

4. THERE IS NO FOUR!!!

5. Once you have all of your characters and (non-tweened) items drawn. Color it in.

6. Add in the bg- and bg animations

7. Go over it and add various effects (speed lines, blur effects, impact lines... etc.)

Note: When doing steps 2 and 3, it's often helpful to just animate the important key frames- and then draw the inbetweens afterwards.

Another thing you can do is record a 'rough' reinactment of what you want to animate on film (crappy video-camera would suffice)- and then use that as a 'tracing reference' in flash.

I hope this advice was somewhat helpful.

EDIT: Try to find a good balance of fbf and tweening. Somethings you just don't have to do fbf.

also- I like the concept art. It kind of reminds me of the 'skate boarding' epi in the animatrix.
    Last edited by fiddlestick5; 06-15-2004 at 04:13 PM.

WOW.. thanks for all that info!
    Very helpful!
    Flash Rules!