dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: create image thumbnails from a projector?

create image thumbnails from a projector?

I'm doing some analysis on a project that would be primarily a multimedia display application (so doing it in flash seems an obvious cheap and easy solution), but would need the capability for the user to browse to an image on their hard drive, select it, and have a thumbnail created and dropped into a directory defined by the projector. I've done some similar stuff with text files by passing a pathname out to a command line utility called SED, I was wondering if there was an Image processor that would work in the same way.

I had taken a look at imagemagick and GD, but I wasn't sure if those needed to be installed seperately. I would like something that when my application installs, it could just dump an exe file in a "utilities" folder in it's install directory and make the calls straight to it without dealing with modifying the windows path variable or anything.

Thanks!

I'm not sure of a way to do this without the use of a 3rd party tool. Our Tool, Flash Studio PRO v2 allows you to do just that. You can broswe to a local file (txt, jpg, gif - anything at all really!) and then copy it to any location on the users HD. You can find example apps available at http://www.multidmedia.com/software/...udio/downloads

Other tools which can also do this are Jugglor (http://www.***********.com), swf studio (http://www.northcode.com), Screenweaver (http://www.screenweaver.com)

I hope this helps.

sorry, I should've been more clear, I'm definitly using a 3rd party tool. I've been using lpflashex, but I'm planning on switching to something with a little better documentation. So what I was looking for was an image conversion utility that I could call using one of those 3rd party tools that would be able to handle simple image functions like resizing and creating a thumbnail image.

Tim (Super Moderator) Northcode's Avatar
    ImageMagick will definitely do the trick. This article describes how to do some cool stuff using the ImageMagick command line. It's linux specific, but the parameters should be pretty much the same.

One of my customers wanted to call ImageMagick from SWF Studio so I figured out what the minimal file set was that needed to be included and provided the necessary .REG files to make IM work (this can easily be automated to allow IM to be "installed" on the fly).

The details are reproduced below. You can also read the full thread in the SWF Studio support forums if you sign up.

First, download a copy of www.northcode.com/misc/imagemagick.zip (1.68MB) and put the contents in C:\ImageMagick.

Next, put the following text in a .REG (registry script) file (they are just plain text files) and double click it. This will ask you if you want to merge the contents with your registry. Click yes.

Once this is done you will be able to run convert.exe from C:\ImageMagick without getting the warnings about not being able to load the MGK modules.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ImageMagick]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ImageMagick\5.5.7]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ImageMagick\5.5.7\Q:16]
    "BinPath"="C:\\ImageMagick"
    "ConfigurePath"="C:\\ImageMagick"
    "LibPath"="C:\\ImageMagick"
    "CoderModulesPath"="C:\\ImageMagick"
    "FilterModulesPath"="C:\\ImageMagick"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ImageMagick\Current]
    "Version"="MagickPackageVersion"
    "QuantumDepth"=dword:00000010
    "BinPath"="C:\\ImageMagick"
    "ConfigurePath"="C:\\ImageMagick"
    "LibPath"="C:\\ImageMagick"
    "CoderModulesPath"="C:\\ImageMagick"
    "FilterModulesPath"="C:\\ImageMagick"
    So, if you add the files from the ZIP file to the SWF Studio Layout, all you have to do is recreate the registry keys above (using the Registry plugin) to point to _level0.ssTempDir instead of C:\\ImageMagick and you can use the locally extracted copy of Convert.exe without any warnings.

You can use this .REG file (beloow) to remove the registry keys added by the .REG file above.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ImageMagick\5.5.7\Q:16]
    -"BinPath"="C:\\ImageMagick"
    -"ConfigurePath"="C:\\ImageMagick"
    -"LibPath"="C:\\ImageMagick"
    -"CoderModulesPath"="C:\\ImageMagick"
    -"FilterModulesPath"="C:\\ImageMagick"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ImageMagick\Current]
    -"Version"="MagickPackageVersion"
    -"QuantumDepth"=dword:00000010
    -"BinPath"="C:\\ImageMagick"