A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Yahoo, giving us stuff?

Yahoo, giving us stuff?

I got an email today from yahoo. It told me that they had increased the size of my account from i think 30mb to 100mb. Now i almost find it hard to believe it is acctully from yahoo, but i think it really is. What is up with that. An email provider acctually giving you more? Are they having problems getting people or something?
    "A piece of toast always lands butter side down, and a cat always lands of its feet. If one was to tie a piece of toast to the back of a cat butter side up, would it hover above the ground in perpetual indecision?"

It's because they're afraid of losing people to GMail.

jtnw

They are trying to compete with gmail, which will offer 1Gb of free email space.

Yahoo are worried about Google's new email service, Gmail.

Third time's the charm.

I was thinking it might be that. Think hotmail will follow too?
    "A piece of toast always lands butter side down, and a cat always lands of its feet. If one was to tie a piece of toast to the back of a cat butter side up, would it hover above the ground in perpetual indecision?"

When hell freezes over they will. They charge you for 10MB as it is!

Originally posted by MiLo_Anderson
    I was thinking it might be that. Think hotmail will follow too?
    That would be interesting.
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

will be interesting regardless. Who in their right mind would go for the free 2 mb account or pay for more at hotmail when they can get a free 100mb one at yahoo, and soon the even bigger one with Gmail. I don't see any advantage to hotmail at all anymore. They even shot themselves in the foot with MSN messenger. You don't even need to use the hotmail account for that anymore. You can use whatever you want. They are going to have to do something if they want to keep hotmail going in my oppinion.

Originally posted by MiLo_Anderson
    will be interesting regardless. Who in their right mind would go for the free 2 mb account or pay for more at hotmail when they can get a free 100mb one at yahoo, and soon the even bigger one with Gmail. I don't see any advantage to hotmail at all anymore. They even shot themselves in the foot with MSN messenger. You don't even need to use the hotmail account for that anymore. You can use whatever you want. They are going to have to do something if they want to keep hotmail going in my oppinion.
    They've got the solution.

They see Hotmail much more as a part of the whole MSN 'thing', like Yahoo Mail is a part of the whole Yahoo 'thing'. In the next versions of Windows, MSN will be built into it (helpful search boxes, etc) so that people will use MSN just be default, and only the more computer-literate people can change it.

There's some screen shots and websites around to back this up. Google i... sorry, MSN it.

poor illertirate people....

But ya you are probably right.

are you paying for your yahoo mail? why did you have 30 megas to begin with? free mail was like only 3megas (althogh i signed up like 7 years ago, so i got 6 mb ).

Anyway, free mail is now 100mb. But if you're paying for the service, you're supposed to get 2 gigas.

The problem with hotmail and yahoo is that they don't allow pop access (although there's an app in sourceforge that allows you to do so for yahoo, yahoopops or something like that)....i think they wouldn't need to give away more space, if just they put back pop access. You know, it's nice to keep the latest, or some mails online, but i wouldn't keep there private data, or credit card confirmations, etc. Most people are connected to the internet 24/7 nowadays, so you have your outlook opened, and you can have a mail database of up to 30gigas.

I wonder.....you think apple would release some mail client for the ipod? that'd be cool they'd have to add a keyboard though
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Its a free account. I would never pay for email. To much free stuff out there. I don't use my yahoo one for that much. Pretty much just for this site really. I use the one that my isp gave me. A little while ago they bumped it up to 10mb. I was wrong about the 30. I was to lazy to check the email then. But why does it really matter if it comes in as a SMTP or pop. They both work pretty much the same from what i can tell. I like the way hotmail does it where it is a seperate folder for their account. It's nice to have all the accounts seperate. I just set up some rules so all my yahoo stuff goes into that folder.

Gmail doesn't jam ads at the bottom of the message body. No banner ads either. Just 3, inconspicuous text-only ads on the right.

They're also the only ones doing discussion threading. And it's freaking fast too.

I'm loving it.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Yahoo did in fact bump up their mail storage limit to 100mb. I use them for personal backup mail, and did not recieve an email from them stating this. I did see it when I logged in - there is a link on the top right.