A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Disc]Blockz, need some idea's.

[Disc]Blockz, need some idea's.

Hey,

I posted about a week ago about my DropThingy game. The engine is 80% finished, all I need is some idea's to make this game different from the other games of this genre.

There are a lot of versions of these type of games that are getting boring real quick. I do not want this to happen with my game, so I want to add something special. I'm also not sure on how I'm going to add block's to the field, any logical idea's on this would also be appreciated.

This game in example does get boring quite soon:
    http://www.miniclip.com/crashdown.htm

When writing this post I also came across this game:
    http://www.miniclip.com/cubebuster.htm
    It's proberbly an update on the previous game, and it's more fun to play. But, even with the extra's. it's still not addictive enough.

Thnx,
    SaphuA

PS: Current version cvan be found here:
    http://saphua.skyshield.net/Blockz.html

Ihoss
    For your version you need to fixthe colours! It is very hard to see the difference between blue and green.

Like IHOSS mentioned, I feel like I'm about to go blind looking at that grid of colors that are very similar. Maybe there should be less tiles on the screen at once, that may not feel so overwhelming.
    Last edited by kendude; 06-17-2004 at 07:50 PM.

Haha

These are not the final graphic's or the finaly playing field. This version is to show how the engine works. All I need now are some idea's for the engine to get a cool original game out of it.

Thnx,
    SaphuA

I really liked the Orisinal version:

http://www.ferryhalim.com/orisinal/g3/bauns.htm

If you could do something like that, meaning you cant just click on any tile, but you have to other skills.

For puzzle type, you could for example add a rule, that you can only move inside same row or column from the last click. So, you would need to plan the clicks.

You could also make the version, where the tiles dont fall down, but move into center of the stage.

[unhelpful post]

I like the orisinal one.

The other two on miniclip don't seem to have any point. There is no skill involved, it just gets boring.

The orisinal game introduces an element of skill which holds your interest.

SaphuA, it' a good start but I think you need to come up with a gimick of some sort to make this game more skill orientated. I'm afraid i don't have any suggestions right now though. I'm not a big fan of puzzle games

[/unhelpful post]
    Last edited by murraymint; 06-18-2004 at 05:00 AM.
    Some Games
    -----------------------

I think you need to have really big, and obvious bonuses for destroying large numbers of blocks at once, that way you'd have to plan slightly better to get the big scores. Maybe a bomb block that gets destroyed by being shifted onto another of the same type (when collumns or rows are removed).

Tony:
    My internet explorer is screwed so I can't watch .swf files in it. Normaly I jsut download the swf, but I couldn't find the right file. Could you make a screenshot or send the swf from your temp. internet files?

Thnx for the other idea's

murraymint:
    I think you need to come up with a gimick of some sort to make this game more skill orientated.
    That's what this post is all about

happinessSam:
    Yes, bonuses, but there should be a logical way on how the user can earn and use his bonuses. Currently it's just stupid clicking, there is (like Tony says) no skill needed for it. I want the user to think about his moves, so he's actualy trying to earn the bonusses.

Thnx,
    SaphuA

Originally posted by SaphuA
    Tony:
    My internet explorer is screwed so I can't watch .swf files in it. Normaly I jsut download the swf, but I couldn't find the right file. Could you make a screenshot or send the swf from your temp. internet files?
    You can see on the attached picture, how you drag the steel ball, which is attached on the rubber band. You then release it, and it jumps on the board, destroying all the tiles with similar color. Much more fun then simple clicking.

maybe some diversity in the blocks would be good.

For example, combo-blocks which are, for example, red and green, and, if clicked, group with both red and green blocks. So, let's say you destroy 8+ blue blocks. Those cells disappear, and in the location of where you clicked, a red/green combo block appears. So you position it to where it's touching both red and green areas, click on it, and it destroys both the red and green areas. And if you destroy more than 16 blocks, a tri-colour combo box appears.

Or another way to have the reward system is to have it based on completing certain shapes in certain colours. For example, Display a Green tetris-L shape on the side. When they complete any green shape that contains within it that green L, they get the bonus combo-block. Those are the first ideas that come to mind for how it could be made a little more interesting.

Mebe you could have blocks that change colors every 3 seconds or so.
    Time Consuming Productions Presents

www.maxbag.net
    (in the works)