dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I have a great idea...

I have a great idea...

Let me know what you all think. Perhaps if we get enough people to agree, we could get FK to implement it.

Here's my idea:

Anyone who frequents FK knows that there are a number of the same questions that are asked constantly. Sometimes we answer them and sometimes we refer the person to a previos post.

What if we had a category (just like the Flash MX, or Flash General Help, etc. categories) that was called Frequently Posted Questions, or something like that...

In it would be questions like, "How do I resize my entire movie at once?", or "How do I make a small pixel font clear?"...types of questions that are not in the Lessons of the help menu, or have many tutorials on them. i.e. - we wouldn't have a post on how to create a button or MC...

So people can 1st check in that category to see if their question is already answered.

anyway...let me know what you think...

good idea except i keep posting the same question but no one knows the answer

well I was talking about questions that have been answered a bunch times...

Originally posted by demon35
    good idea except i keep posting the same question but no one knows the answer
    Anyway, it isn't that nobody knows the answer, it is that your question is lame ... like asking "can anybody tell me how to run a country?" There are hundreds of approaches and all of them depend on the situation ... eg Do you have an army? Are you popular? Is your country populated? Have you enough oil to be invaded by someone bigger?
    Read this thread PostingGuideGamesForum then reword your question.

PS: IguanaGirl32
    OldNewbie does very well as a search function for FAQs!
    Seriously though, the category is a great idea, but getting people to use it will be fun.

OldNewbie does very well as a search function for FAQs!

True...but he's not going to be here forever...and he's not online all the time...we will need to learn to manage once he is gone...and it would eliminate repeat questions that clog up the board and cause new questions to get missed...

Great idea, since I can see that sometimes people are tired of answering those questions. One problem is of course that sometimes questions have to be individually answered if it concerns for example a specific code (for a preloader as an example).

We can start with this thread to collect questions, answer them and then finally write one single tutorial by copy and paste, which will be posted on the FK site.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -
    | www.Flashscript.biz | Flashscript Biz Classes/Components |

Well, we could have a MiniTutorial section on the boards where people can write a few paragraphs on whatever subject without having to submit a whole tutorial... of course, attaching an .fla would be an option. We'd have to set a rule that it's not a board for answering questions, so all question posts would be ignored/deleted.

This is all dependent on how much effort the admins are willing to put into it.
    blah.

While these are all valid ideas, I think in the end, people just need to use that nice lil "Search" forum button more often.
    -Brian-

Originally posted by Holograph
    people just need to use that nice lil "Search" forum button more often.
    Yep!

We need an FAQ, most questions could be answered there. Lots of things come up nearley daily like how to launch a pop up etc. A FAQ would make this fast moving forum easier to use.

Adam

Developer
    Some good feedback here. The search function is not always the easiest way to get your answer but it's pretty powerful. I encourage you all to put together tutorials and submit them regardless of how in depth they go into a topic.
    Last edited by gSOLO_01; 06-18-2004 at 11:18 PM.

Hi,

There really doesn't need to be a complete forum for FAQ's. The variety of forums here should span the gap of questions covered pretty well. The use of "sticky" threads at the top of each forum should be enough to allow for adding FAQ's to each forum and there should be one at the top of each forum linking to the most asked questions. One suggestion I think would help is to make the search option more visible. I have seen people come here for extended periods of time before even realizing there is a search option.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is some sort of code archive. Where you could read or submit just code in .AS form. You could write general functions for most everything and put them in .as files for text viewing. Quick and easy downloads. I have seen some great code posts in some of the forums that either should be made sticky or added to an archive of some kind.

My 3 cents

NTD

Let's finish chatting and get to business.
    The first tutorial is about CHANGING THE FRAMERATE, which is a frequent question in this forum.

One of the problems of uploading movies into movieclips is the change of the
    framerate adjusted to the parent frame rate. Here is a little script, which you
    put into frame number 1 of your movieclip, which you want to change. If you
    have a movie loaded with several movieclips and you want to change all of
    them, you have to place the script into every movieclip.

//to start we first clear interval, because a repitition would result in cessation of
    the animation.

clearInterval(newRate);
    onEnterFrame=function(){
    //here we set the last frame of the animation...
    if(_currentframe==end){
    //...and this is the first frame.
    gotoAndPlay(begin);
    }
    //this the framenumber where we want to start the change.
    if(_currentframe==sFrame){
    //this is the frame rate per second
    clipInterval(fpsSecond);
    //this is optional in case we want to change another time.
    }else if(_currentframe==eFrame){
    clipInterval(fpeSecond);
    }
    }
    }

//here we define the function for the rate.
    function clipInterval(fpSecond){
    fRate=1000/fpSecond;
    //all what it is is a set interval function.
    frameRate=new Object();
    frameRate.interval=function(){
    nextFrame();
    }
    newRate=setInterval(frameRate, "interval", fRate);
    }
    //then we execute the function with all the numbers.
    changeRate(30,130,9,18,239,"start");

To download files or see a working example check:
    http://www.flashscript.biz/utilities...framerate.html
    Last edited by cancerinform; 06-19-2004 at 03:23 PM.

We need an FAQ, most questions could be answered there. Lots of things come up nearley daily like how to launch a pop up etc. A FAQ would make this fast moving forum easier to use.
    That is exactly my point!

But cancerinform, I think that we need to better organize the tutorials, rather than posting them in the forum as such. I can create a yahoo account that is specific to this cause. People can email their tuts to it. And I will post the login info as well so we can all view it. Or perhaps just PM it to a few select people so there doesn't become too many cooks in the kitchen...

Then when we get a decent amount of tuts, we can submit them to FK.

What do you all think?

Civilian
    If you think it'll be used, I could also add a FAQ to the Tutorials section, which you could link to.

jstarkey...

I think that if we (as members of FK) promote it, people will use it.

there have been times when I needed and answer that I knew had been asked before, but when I did a search, I had to sort through the 100's of posts that didn't quite answer the question, just to find the one that did.

I think if we have an FAQ that answers the question specifically, without a bunch of unrelated responses, people WILL use it. I know I will!

but what do you think of my yahoo email account idea for collecting the tuts?

we can send them to you directly if you want. then you can review them at your convenience.

thanks!

Civilian
    Iguana, this in itself is a FAQ The mods have been talking about doing something like this for a while, as well.

I'm wondering if maybe I should just create a quick script that will allow people to post FAQs and I can pull them out of the database -- sort of the knowledge base idea.

The main problem will be who we allow access to. I'll talk to the mods and see if they'd be willing to post the FAQs and you can just send'em over to them.

The Yahoo account sounds like a great idea, but may cause more delay. Although, sending them to me directly would be even longer If I can add the script, and everyone thinks it's a good idea, I could do that pretty quickly.

Iguana,

this post could be used to collect some of the tutorials and main questions. I did not mean to refer to this post in the future. This is also a way for everybody to recheck and make corrections or improvements. Another point is that all tutorials and answers to questions should be MX and MX2004 compatible unless specifically indicated because of components etc.

cancerinform

I think that they should not be posted into the FAQ until they are perfected. This way no one get's an incorrect answer to their question.

But I do agree that they should be MX & 2004 compliant.

jstarkey

Just let me know what you want to do. I would be more than happy to create the yahoo account. But if you can perhaps run a query in your DB to get say the top 20 or 30 questions posted (not sure if that's possible), and then put that in the FAQs page, that would be great.

Whatever you think would be the easiet/most efficient way to handle this.

I'm just glad that this idea is getting attention. I think it's important, and will really help people get quick answers to some of the more easy/common questions.

Actually like myself people have tutorials or answers to these questions on their web sites and those are usually working. Some tutorials may even be present on the FK tutorial site

I think we are loosing site of the whole point of an FAQ... Remember that FAQ stands for "Frequently asked Questions"...the operative word being "Frequently"

The point is so that people don't have to do a search that will take them to a long list of posts or other results that may or may not answer their question.

There are MANY questions that get asked constantly. Like How do I resize my entire movie. There is really only one correct way to do it, thus it would go into the FAQ.

There are also questions like the small pixel font dilema...

Questions like "How do I create a preloader" would not go in because there are 100 ways to make one.

This FAQ should be just that, a list of posts that have been repeatedly posted b/c people either can't find the answer by searching in FK or simply did not try the search feature.

It will probably take a while to compile them, but I think it is worth it.