dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need to build a beautiful 3d server room animation...

Need to build a beautiful 3d server room animation...

Hey all-

Ive been a member of this board for i think a few years now, but just lurked and read. But lately with a huge new project, ive been posting alot, and the level of commradere ive seen with people willing to help and reply has seemed to shoot up alot

Anyway, ive programmed a really cool SQL backend, and have figured out all the components to run it in flash. Basically i have a system downtime database, that has a total count of all servers in a department, which ones are up or down, and what each servers name is and what it runs.

Ive programmed a way to query the data, and based on a total server count, ahve that number of animations play on the stage. What i want to do is have a total # returned (say 8 servers) and have 8 really cool 3dish animations of servers being constructed. I basically want to build/create for the viewer to see, a 3d server room, with the number of servers thats in the database. Liek i sadi i have the programming already torun it, i just dont knwo how to go about creating the 3d server room for flash.

Whats the best way and most attractive way to go about making a server being built, or growing from the ground? What programs or techniques? Im willing to learn anything, i just want to make it as attractive and eye catching as possible, and have the building/constructing animation really "wowing".

Any thoughts? thanks
    Nick

Well if i were using a 3D sofwear... or even just using flash and trying to imatate a 3D look, i would probibly start with a wire frame. Wireframes give people a sence that they realy are looking at something thats 3D, as you see alot of wireframes in 3D programs. Try and draw a server in maby green lines, and draw it as detailed as possible and try to give it that 3D wireframe look (for inspiration look for pictures of servers, or server wireframes) Once you have it all drawn out, make another layer ontop of that, and draw over what a real server would look like (but be sure to draw it exactly the same as the wire frame would look if it were real) and set it directly over the wire frame. Then put a mask of some kind over it, and tween it growning upward. Now what you see is a wireframe, sortof hardening into the real thing . This would probibly be an easy way to do it, and your users will still get that "wow, cool 3D stuff!" feeling .

Other alternatives might include drawing a server, bit-by-bit, tearing it apart, and then tween it back together from the ground up .

thats not a bad idea So something like pixelranger or the old ray of light site did?

not a bad suggestion at all sir, thank you
    Nick