A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putin Warned US of Iraq Terror

Putin Warned US of Iraq Terror

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...ror/index.html

Kind of an interesting development. Just read this article, don't know if the same story is posted anywhere else. Think i saw it on Reuter's as well.

So in other words..."Beware of terrorist attacks on your soil from Iraq, but how dare you do anything about it".

It seems to me Russia wants to cover their base by saying "we told you so", yet through their own interests, they didn't want the US to go into Iraq for this very reason. Kill two birds with one stone I guess.

On a lighter note, another American beheaded in the Mid East. It's sad, because...the terrorist's demands weren't that unreasonable. The release of all Al Queda prisoners and getting every westerner to leave the region in 72 hours should have been an easy task.
    Last edited by Visionray; 06-18-2004 at 03:11 PM.

Re: Putin Warned US of Iraq Terror

Originally posted by Visionray
    Just read this article, don't know if the same story is posted anywhere else.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,123051,00.html

All those years at the KGB prepared him for this one-sided chess game against Bush.

he has been playing that simple minded hick all this time...cant say im surprised. And to think, we gave even more aid to that freaking organitsaya they call a Duma all the while he was stealing the oil companies from other thugs not half as decrepid as himself...

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Ladies and gentlemen, today's pinata, Vladimir Putin.

[loud cheering, applause]

Who's more wrong, Putin, for so blatantly pulling the 'we told you so' or the 9/11 commission, who believe al Qaeda acted alone?

What we need here is a good future crime analyst to see if Iraq really did plan attacks and who they were hiring to carry them out.

Barring that, does it really matter? This is so after the fact that it's heresay about history.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

So in other words..."Beware of terrorist attacks on your soil from Iraq, but how dare you do anything about it".
    More like "Help us out here and we'll make it worth your while."

Think this is a coincidence that it comes so soon after the G8 summit? And so soon after the comission sinks the idea of an Al-Queda-Saddamn link? And who would be better to reinforce the credibility of the threat to the US from Iraq than one of the countries who opposed the war?

Watch the US-Russia relationship carefully over the next few months, especially following the election if W wins.

<re-adjusts tin foil hat>
    Last edited by japangreg; 06-18-2004 at 03:27 PM.
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

no, what we need to do is get angry and even...starting with the fu...pigs that just beheaded Paul Johnson.

The russians will simmer in their own malaise of ****. no need to worry about them. We also need to get this simple minded hick out of the white house, he has done nothing but screw this up since the get go.

"Beware of terrorist attacks on your soil from Iraq, but how dare you do anything about it".
    I see no rationality in that statement, there's a big difference between guarding against possible attacks, that's possible attacks (the russian intelligence only hinted at the possiblity of attacks and the russian intelligence spokeman said it was one of many warnings passed on to america about various countries/groups possibly planning attacks on america) and using that as some sort of cockeyed justification for attacking another country. Putin said today, just heard him on the radio, that the warning passed on to america was nothing that would justify an invasion of the country.

By this rationality america should be invading and occupying just about every country in the middle east, sub-continent and asia.

imho this announcement has nothing to do with current events. It was one warning among many about many different countries and groups. Any attempt to use this, to jump all over it like some smoking gun, to justify the coalition's own pathetic intelligence failures is just so much smoke. Once the bush administration produce evidence that iraq was linked to 9/11, in contradiction to the inquiries findings today, then it will be relevant to the issue.

Attention needs to be firmly on what went wrong in the 'justification' for the invasion, on a genuine investigation into not just the events of 9/11 but those subsequent.

Originally posted by webcorps
    no, what we need to do is get angry and even...starting with the fu...pigs that just beheaded Paul Johnson.
    that horrible and tragic event has nothing to do with the posts above yours, to use the death of an innocent man at the hands of terrorists like that is plain nasty imho.

i dont give a damn what you think is nasty or not, I knew who paul johnson was...I live with all this crap because of a jackass president and his cohorts...

if it disturbs your morally superior tendencies then tough. I dont care what you think of me. This crap affects me directly day in and out, and all of you who dont have a stake in this think that you can judge other's points of views because they dont show the right amount of austerity or morality that you think civilized people might...

so opine about what you know, and stay clear of mine.

nothing to do with the posts above yours
    EVERYTHING TO DO WITH IT...
    Last edited by webcorps; 06-18-2004 at 03:39 PM.

...with mine?

Did you know him? He lived in Florida for a while, didn't he?

no, I didnt know him in Florida. he lived in dhahran a while back. I was raised in a town close to his...I saw him at various parties at the Oasis compound(it got attacked 3 weeks ago) with alot of the other LM and old martin marrieta guys. his son lives here in florida.

*and no, not your post - just the thread topic...
    Last edited by webcorps; 06-18-2004 at 03:52 PM.

Re: Re: Putin Warned US of Iraq Terror

Originally posted by aversion
    I see no rationality in that statement, there's a big difference between guarding against possible attacks, that's possible attacks (the russian intelligence only hinted at the possiblity of attacks and the russian intelligence spokeman said it was one of many warnings passed on to america about various countries/groups possibly planning attacks on america) and using that as some sort of cockeyed justification for attacking another country. Putin said today, just heard him on the radio, that the warning passed on to america was nothing that would justify an invasion of the country.

I think you're missing my point. The U.S. didn't use that intelligence from Russia alone as a cockeyed justification for attacking another country. In that article Yasonobu posted it said...

"In Washington, a U.S. official said Putin's information did not add to what the United States already knew about Saddam's intentions."

The U.S. already had it's own intelligence, however faulty it was. I'm not trying to say that we should have invaded Iraq on this premenition from Russia.
    It's just more fuel to the fire. I'm wondering why this wasn't brought up before the invasion to the public...that other countries besides UK had intelligence.

Post by Hurricane,
    Barring that, does it really matter? This is so after the fact that it's heresay about history.
    Honestly I think it does matter. That's kind of like saying..."so we didn't find WMD in Iraq. Doesn't really matter now, that's all history". Same rationale imo. (not going to get into whether or no they really do have it or not). But all that squabbling before the war as to whether or not a threat was credible against the U.S., and we have other countries agreeing with our intelligence. The point is, Putin didn't seem to want to go to war not because he felt there was a threat, but because he had interests in Saddam's regime. I know it's been said before, but people continue to deny it and if they agree, they overlook the total hypocrisy of it all.

i dont give a damn what you think is nasty or not, I knew who paul johnson was...I live with all this crap because of a jackass president and his cohorts...

if it disturbs your morally superior tendencies then tough. I dont care what you think of me. This crap affects me directly day in and out, and all of you who dont have a stake in this think that you can judge other's points of views because they dont show the right amount of austerity or morality that you think civilized people might...

so opine about what you know, and stay clear of mine.

other than the first post yours was the first one to mention the killing.

I'm sorry you're effected by it (you're not the only one here touched by these events don't be so "morally superior" to think you are, you're not) but I stand by my point, whether you think it's based on my "morally superior tendencies" bull**** of which you know NOTHING or not.

Things like that should not be used to bring emotions into an unrelated discussion about the effect of russian intelligence on the bush administration's choices to go to war.

trust me, I don't think less of you because of it, just that bringing emotions into discussions like this, in a place like this, has very predictable consequences.

Re: Re: Re: Putin Warned US of Iraq Terror

The U.S. already had it's own intelligence, however faulty it was. I'm not trying to say that we should have invaded Iraq on this premenition from Russia.
    It's just more fuel to the fire. I'm wondering why this wasn't brought up before the invasion to the public...that other countries besides UK had intelligence.
    It wasn't brought up because it didn't exist before.

Think about it: if your the US government and your being raked over the coals before the war by Russia and you have these communiques that basically make them out to be hypocrits, why don't you use them? Bush could have just gone in front of the cameras and said 'Even though the Russians don't support the war, here are documents that prove even they think Saddam is a threat...'

But he didn't. Here we are, a year after the war started. The post-war is not going as well as hoped, and with the report issued by the 9/11 comission, one of the last remaining justifications for the war has been dealt a blow. Suddenly we have Russia saying that they, at some previous point, issued a report to the Americans supporting their prewar intelligence. Notice how there are no details? Dates, names, documentation?

Smells to me that the Bush admin just bought a favor from Putin.

Originally posted by aversion
    Putin said today, just heard him on the radio, that the warning passed on to america was nothing that would justify an invasion of the country.

By the way, keep in mind that's coming from his opinion, his perspective, HIS interests. Who is he to say what the U.S. feels is credible enough intelligence to justify an invasion to protect their own interests. Russia doesn't dictate U.S. policy. Not that it matters, but I'm sure that this intelligence alone was not enough to for the US to justify the invasion. But it's not like this was the only basis the US had to go in.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar

Originally posted by japangreg
    [B] And so soon after the comission sinks the idea of an Al-Queda-Saddamn link?
    read the findings of the comission.. or just the headlines and news stories.

And who would be better to reinforce the credibility of the threat to the US from Iraq than one of the countries who opposed the war?
    russia certainly has been enjoying the higher cost of oil
    Watch the US-Russia relationship carefully over the next few months, especially following the election if W wins.
    I think russia may be big enough on its own economicallly to not need the u.s that much.

I agree this certainly is a change of stance. Maybe all those years in teh KGB has given him a bit of insight. I don't think an agent of his experience would take this stance if he wasn't sure who was going to win in november.
    Last edited by TallGuyLittleCar; 06-18-2004 at 04:01 PM.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

maybe I am trying to fuel a little emotion into some of you who just sit around and rationalize this and that without really taking human nature into account. guess what, humans get angry and they kill. they are nasty. you get your fair share of rationalizing around here, now I feel I need to express my emotions. whether you think they are relevant or not is up to you, I know that it is relevant. If Iraq would of never happened, my family would be safe. And presently they are not.

and tell me, who else here is directly affected by this...or are you just talking out of your ass to make a point.

and I dont take moralistically superior tones, that would be and apparently has been your job.

and tell me, who else here is directly affected by this...or are you just talking out of your ass to make a point.

and I dont take moralistically superior tones, that would be and apparently has been your job.
    wtf? How dare you even assume that I have or have not been affected by the events in and around iraq?! You don't have the first goddamn idea and unlike some I don't wear my heart on my sleeve in an anonymous forum where no one knows me. I especially don't use it to make a point, if that's being moralistically superior, then **** yeah, that's me, give me the prize.

Don't presume to know what is happening with anyone here, not just me but anyone, don't presume that anyone needs some sort of emotional kick up the ass to do something, just because we don't scream and yell like a toddler don't assume that we're not angry or affected.

You think you've judged me and yet you don't know one goddam thing about me, just because you've been affected doesn't give you, or anyone else the right to judge people.

so your answer is no, you dont....that wouldve been simpler than the dribble you just wrote.

and you say you dont make morally superior comments, reread your posts.

There is no presumption on my part, i felt like expressing my emotions and that is it, I dont need you to tell me what to post and how to post it, if I feel like sharing something then Ill share it, if you have an issue with it, then its your issue...you can cut out the us vs them **** as well, i never presumed anything about anyone...I have only your previous posts to go on when it comes to seeing where you held yourself higher than those posting their views...

toddler/heart on my sleeve? ok, i wont even comment on that, ...<<mod edit...sick of people thinking they can come here and abuse other members - davidp.>>

and how did I judge you? are you completely fried? I dont judge people. I only call people on their actions if I feel I have to...I just dont do it in a moralistically superior manner like you do
    Last edited by webcorps; 06-18-2004 at 04:44 PM.

so your answer is no, you dont....that wouldve been simpler than the dribble you just wrote.

and you say you dont make morally superior comments, reread your posts.

There is no presumption on my part, i felt like expressing my emotions and that is it, I dont need you to tell me what to post and how to post it, if I feel like sharing something then Ill share it, if you have an issue with it, then its your issue...you can cut out the us vs them **** as well, i never presumed anything about anyone...I have only your previous posts to go on when it comes to seeing where you held yourself higher than those posting their views...

toddler? ok, i wont even comment on that, you *******.

and how did I judge you? are you completely fried? I dont judge people. I only call people on their actions if I feel I have to...I just dont do it in a moralistically superior manner like you do...
    if you really want to know the answer is yes. I think most intelligent people would be able to discern that from my reaction to your initial post never mind what followed, but continue in your bubble if you want, not all of us feel the need to talk about it here where it's none of anyone's goddam business.

I'm not telling you what to post, I was reacting to the way you post, which to me seemed to be in bad taste. Boo hoo.

you're not judgmental? Don't make me laugh. Reread your own goddam posts you judgmental 'arsehole' and kindly don't talk to me again.

Pathetic.