A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do I cut out..

How do I cut out..

People from images extremely easy and sharp? So far I have been using fireworks MX and I have not been really succeeding

Any help would be appreciated
    Each day the world is filled with newbs

do you have photoshop?? if so there are a number of different techniques. if you do have it, i or someone else can explain them.

Originally posted by skate342
    do you have photoshop?? if so there are a number of different techniques. if you do have it, i or someone else can explain them.
    Yea I have photoshop, but I hardly ever use it, I am addicted to fireworks which is almost perfect for everything, except cutting out objects from pics

Well there are alot of ways to do it in photoshop, but the technique i use can probibly be imitated into fireworks. What you do is use the pen tool, and trace around the object you want to cut out on a second layer. Then you need to select the trace object (that you made with the pen tool) and that will outline it. Then you need to select the first layer, with the image you want to cut out, go to your selection menu, and hit "inverse" (or what ever fireworks call's it) and then delete. This will delete everything exept the work you traced around, so that all you have left is the cut out .

actually fireworks is a bit different in it's handling of raster images. While it is used to create raster imagry in the end (and web graphics in particular), it's engine thinks in vectors ... much like Freehand or Illustrator. About the only thing you can do with imagry is modify its color, select portions of it, and erase portions of it. There are also some filters you can apply ... but they're limited.

Personally I only use Fireworks for the layout of my sites if I use it at all. Then I use Photoshop for all the more complex image manipulation like masking, blending, etc.

One thing you may be able to do however is do just as Sasocki said and use your pen tool to trace around the image. Make sure the path is closed when completed. Then you cut the image in question, and paste it inside this newly created path (edit > paste inside). Make sure you path doesn't have a fill or stroke applied to it when done and it should give you a similar effect to what was discussed above.

Now I'm assuming you're familiar with using the pen and it's accompanying tools in fireworks. If so, from this point you can select anchor points and adjust them as you see fit to reveal and hide your image that's pasted inside.

Hope that helps. But my suggestion is to learn to use PhotoShop for something like this. I think you'd like the added features and flexibility that it gives you when working with photographic images.

Thanks for the heads up guys