A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ?twisted navigation question?

*insert witty title here*

?twisted navigation question?

Hey there everyone.

Ok this is a little bit of a twisted question for you all. I am trying to help out a friend of mind with a website for his band. Thankfully one of them is good with graphics as I suck at them. Anyhow the menu is a little complex with coding and I am still only learning flash. But now down to the problem (i have managed to get so far with this)

What I have: I have a couple of menu items all sitting to the right side of the fla. Now each on is an indiviual at present. When you click on one of them say "gigs" it shoots across to the left side of the screen. Click on it again and it shoots back to it's orginal position. Click on any of the others and they do the same. (that is what I currently have).

What I want: The first part is right, click on the menu item "gigs" and it shoots to the left side of the screen. However I don't want to have to click on it to send it back. I want to just click on another item (say "news") and then it shoots to the left side and "gigs" shoots back to the right side of the screen. I know i need to use a varible for this but I just can't think of where it needs to be or the command that is issued to use it and do what I want.

The Twist: So once that first part is worked out I should be right to move on. But if anyone has or can give me a small hint to the direction i need to go for this. The button "news" when it reaches the left side of the screen I want it to open up to a sub menu. the same with the "stuff" button, it will need to open up to a sub menu. My thought was to get the X and Y position of the button when on the left side and when they equal a certain point play a MC with the submenu's. the MC will be contained in the "stuff" and "news" button. That is my thought anyhow.

To help everyone out with where I am out I have uploaded a fla file with what I have done and the code. Mind you this is nothing what it will look like but just a practice run for me so I know what I am doing. Oh and for thoes people who are thinking it, no i am not getting paid for the site, as I said before it is for a friend, plus I could see how I could charge anyone for a site when I am still learning myself. I am chalking it all up as experience.

Thank in advance

Trent
    Attached Files Attached Files

*insert witty title here*
    can anyone assist me?

Have I got the idea right?

Adam
    Attached Files Attached Files