A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: embedded video load issues

embedded video load issues

I have a 14MB video file that runs about 5 minutes in length. My client wants a shell built in flash (basic design with logo and video playback features) for the video to play in. This swf file will be placed into their company web page which is basic HTML. I was attempting to do this using MX 2004 and just importing the video. When I test the movie and simulate download with 56k I run into a lot of problems. I tried to use

if (_framesloaded>=200) {
    gotoAndPlay(75);
    }

to load some of the movie before it starts playing. This doesn't work. I am VERY new to this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

hi Mgrills

you may have already tried this, but try to do a little search on the subject of progressively loading embedded SWFs here on Flashkit. The gurus here get bombarded with these kinds of questions, which get very complex real quick.

for what it's worth I'm in the same boat as you, looking for similar
    answers. They're most definitely here, they're just buried within the archives of these forums. Sorry i can't help you beyond that. I'm searching too.
    <fp>

Thanks I will do a little more research. I was able to get it to preload some of the video using

if (_framesloaded,300) {
    gotoAndPlay(2);
    }

I put this code in frame 3 and started the video in frame 4. So as long as 300 frames aren't loaded yet it loops back to frame 2. It basically replaus frame 2 and 3 until 300 frames are loaded.

I couldn't get anything to work if I started it in frame 1.

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    We have a lot of free tutorials on our site for creating players and preloaders for SWF video files.
    You can find them here:
    www.wildform.com/tutorials
    and here
    http://www.flashanimationtutorials.c..._flix.php#flix
    If you're looking for an immediate solution, our software Flix Pro can add a player and a preloader to any SWF or FLV file. We also have players that can automatically add a logo for custom branding.
    http://www.wildform.com/flix/flix_powerplayers.php
    jb

I definitely think the way forward with Flash video is loading in external FLVs.

See what you make of my FLV Player you can try here.

Check here for documentation.

Dene.
    Last edited by Dene; 06-23-2004 at 07:16 PM.

It all depends on your connection, just because it starts on frame 300 doesn't mean it will be the same on all machines. If you preload 20 or 30 percent for broadband things should work well.