A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [beta/not finished at all] Yet another sidescroller.. hehe

[beta/not finished at all] Yet another sidescroller.. hehe

Yeah, I know, not really original, but, hey, I just wanted to make my own damn jump'n run sidescroller!

http://www.zerowap.com/flash/sidescr...escroller.html

tell me what you think, what could be improved, bugs, and other stuff...

Yeah the graphics are all just veery temporarily.. hehe.. I didn't even try to make any.

cursor keys and space bar

doItLikeThis
    Wow, very nice, damn smooth and I loved the scrolling. How did you do it? Is this art based ????
    -Aditya

Yeh that is pretty good I don't know if it is art based or not, but I think you should remove the bouncing when the hero hits the ground. Unless the hero will be a ball or something

But yeh, it scrolls very smooth, the collision is good, and the verticle movement is good also

Possible problem. You have the collision at exactly the outside of the hero. You should possibly make it 1 pixel less each side. Why? Try this: You start on the sky tile right, jump over those 2 grass tiles and fall directly down. You cannot fall. And also when you get down there, try and jump directly up, you can't. See the image attached for an example.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good engine, smooth and fast. I didnt see any bugs.

You could improve it by stopping the scroll near the edges.

looking for his avatar
    looks very very tilebased @leight

Very smooth! (Like TONYPA already said)

*LEIGHT has a good point about the collision.
    Last edited by kendude; 06-22-2004 at 08:19 AM.

Very nice, runs smooth, and fast but I agree with tonypa, you could improve it by stopping the scroll near the edges.

curiouser and curiouser LittleRed's Avatar
    I'm not sure about the stopping scrolling at the edges thing - doesn't it mean that the character can 'see' twice as far as they would be able to when they're away from the edge?

I was wondering about this for my rpg, and decided not to stop scrolling at the edges because of this - but I'm open to persuasion!

LittleRed has a very good point there. What do you think Tonypa? I know you are a big fan of stopping the scroll when near the egdes, but have you ever thought about what littlered said?

Actually, it's art-based

But I'll take that you guys thougth that it was tile-based as a compliment

Leight, I have fixed that 1-pixel-outside-hero-collision thing, but I'll upload it as soon as I get home. I'm working on the bouncing too.

Thanks for the comments

I dont like the nothingness, that comes after you reach the edge. If you can nicely hide the fact, that your world actually stops after that last tile, then sure, dont stop the scroll. You could block the path halfway to the edge for example. Then again, you waste half the screen on both sides this way.

This is only how I see it, I have seen games using both types of scrolling very well.

hey nice little engine you have there :-)

im currently workin on the same kinda game but since im more of a graphic artist than a expirienced coder i gave up :-( but if your interested in some graphix for your game you are welcome to email me

heres an exampel :-)

[IMG]main.png[/IMG]
    Last edited by ushino2; 06-22-2004 at 12:25 PM.
    buddy holly lives in our dreames

www.crazynetwork.dk

Russ
    Originally posted by ushino2
    hey nice little engine you have there :-)

im currently workin on the same kinda game but since im more of a graphic artist than a expirienced coder i gave up :-( but if your interested in some graphix for your game you are welcome to email me

heres an exampel :-)

main.png won't show up unless it's hosted somewhere. Right now you're telling it to show http://www.flashkit.com/main.png.

Updated it now, many bug fixes...

Fixed the 1-pixel-collision thing, and some other stuff..

Nice! Very smooth and good collision detection. A good example that you can have good collision in an art-based game as well.

Thanks! Means alot coming from you strille!

nice... running smooth... i would like to ask where did you get the references on that.

Originally posted by Barc
    nice... running smooth... i would like to ask where did you get the references on that.
    Dont know what you mean by references... hmm...

Ushino2: try to attack your art as a attachment, or see the e-mail or PM I sent you.

well, i mean, where did you get ideas about the actionscript.

Problem again, try walking across the one 'tile' width gaps. You can continue walking over the gap

It's an excelent clean engine though! How many lines of code have you used? Have you coded it in one frame, or by movieclips?

Great work

Leight: It's a total of 78 lines of coding on _root. Nothing on movieclips. But I have came up with some very clever code-snippets. Maybe I'll publish it in a tutorial some time. About that one-tile-gaps-not-falling-down-bug, I have tried to fix it, and I haven't managed to yet. I think I'll just leave it as it is. hmm.. It will look kinda strange when I input the real graphics.. Maybe shorten the heros width may solve it. I'll try that.

Barc: thanks. I have mostly tried and failed. Thinking. That's important, thinking logical.

And, anyone, if someone is willing to do some graphics for this game, please post here or send me an e-mail about it. I havent settled the theme or anything yet, so I'm open for suggestions!