A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: collectable card game interface

Hybrid View

collectable card game interface

I'm working on an RPG in Flash, and I was thinking about designing the combat system to be similar to a collectable card-game interface, particularly like Magic: The Gathering; spells, enchantments, creatures, etc. Seems like Flash would be a good fit for this type of setup; card descriptions stored in XML, and then some sort of rules system for applying this to the game. I've been looking for other games that try to do this, so I don't end up re-inventing the wheel, but so far I haven't found anything. Does anyone know of any Flash games that use that sort of combat system? Many thanks;

-#

I'm pretty much in the same boat, except I'm designing and coding everything from scratch. It's going to be a long road, but I think it will be worth it. Mine is more of a Master of Orion / M:TG cross, though.
    Speed up your development time with well documented and easy to implement Flash components.
    That's what I do, I save people.... Save them from work. I'm like a slacker superhero, standing for truth, justice, and the consumption of sugary pastries.

That's a cool little game. I played it through and both the effects and the game were really well done.
    Speed up your development time with well documented and easy to implement Flash components.
    That's what I do, I save people.... Save them from work. I'm like a slacker superhero, standing for truth, justice, and the consumption of sugary pastries.

Thanks for digging up that link, Tonypa; very interesting, and well made, I think. It's got some similarities to what I had invisioned my own game looking like (a card-playing interface, and a battle-field that cannot be interacted with except through the cards--I'm planning on doing mine with something isometric, populous-like).

But what makes this game good is the simple method of gameplay. I had mentioned M:TG in my initial post, and the problem with that game is that it's rules are just so complex, expecially in regards to timing. This has a nice, simple gameplay.

Actually, it reminds me of a board-game called robo-rally. Anybody else play that? It involved trying to race your robot across a board with lots of natural hazards and conveyor belts and such, but everyone simultaneously revealed their moves they had selected--so all these robots moved, not knowing what the other robots were doing, and quite often the robots would bump into one another and unwittingly drive each other off the edges of the board.

Now that I think about it (and after reading Squize's great rant about writing simple games for Flash), robo-rally would make a great Flash game. Maybe I'll give that a try, it would be somewhat less ambitious and more realistic than my current project.

-#

Here's another one that's pretty cool, the graphics aren't as pretty, but its a pretty fun game:

Meganic Wars