A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Beta] Mini Golf Game

:)

It is very cool indeed!

Although I somehow don't like how the ball is moving, it somehow doesn't look real enough.

SaphuA

I've corrected some of the wall collisions so that it looks a little better.

SaphuA:
    Could you be a little more specific when you say that the ball movement doesn't look real enough? Thanks.

Be Nice to Newbies
    Looks great, and gameplay was very easy to pickup... I usually lose interest in golf games right away, because I'm too lazy to figure out the controls. This one was intuitive enough that I got it on the first try without reading instructions... Good job, and good luck with it!

- Mike
    Current Project:
    MicroGT

Originally posted by flashisland
    SaphuA:
    Could you be a little more specific when you say that the ball movement doesn't look real enough? Thanks.
    Hey,
    I've had another look at the game and here are some things that might cause it:
    - Theres no rolling animation, a rolling animation would make it look a lot better.
    - It's hard to tell the difference between acceleration and deaceleration. The ball keeps the same speed for a long period after being hit, it should slowdown a lot quicker. It should also slow down when it hits a wall.

Good luck,
    SaphuA

one thing i think should be changed is, if you are very very close to the hole, and you hit it as hard as possible, it still goes in, but in reality, the ball would fly past the hole.

SaphuA:
    I'm not really sure how I could make a rolling animation since the ball is so small and doesn't really have any texture to it. However, the ball friction and speed definatly seem to be a problem. I'll work on it.

skate342:
    You have an excellent point. I'll work on this as well in my next release.

I have a quick one-hole demo with a couple changes to the game. You can view it at http://www.flashisland.net/minigolf/golf_changes.htm. First of all, I've changed the ball friction. I've also made the mouse hidden when you roll over the hole, and I've made it so that if you hit the ball too hard, it will jump over the hole. Sorry, there's no sound effects or score card. Let me know how you like it.

The collision for the hole is way off. If the ball rolls over the side of the hole, it doesn't go in. In reality, it would tip in. Well, i guess it's not way off, lol. But you should make the hole detection bigger. I missed 3 times on the first hole because they all went over the side of the hole.

I've changed the test hole (http://www.flashisland.net/minigolf/golf_changes.htm) to have a larger hole detection area. Let me know if it looks any better now. Thanks.

It's looking better now.
    I think just for testing purposes, you should make the ball dragable so you can place it at different spots around the whole. If the ball looks like it's supposed to fall in, and your code doesn't make it fall in, then you need to make the hole bigger.

I've changed all the rest of the mini golf holes to be like the demo hole, and I think I have the ball/hole collision problem fixed. You can view the game at the same address as before (http://www.flashisland.net/minigolf/). Is it any better now?

Professional Air Guitarist Frag's Avatar
    Brain, Body, Clothes, Computer Chair, Room, House, Neighborhood, City, State, Country, Continent, World, Galaxy, Universe, and on?
    Much better! Maybe a bigger radius around the hole for the mouse to disappear, but that's just me.

Great! I'm glad it finally looks ok. Maybe I'll make the hide mouse radius a little bigger in the final game.

looking better, i agree very much with frag's suggestion.

Must get off computer...
    Very Cool!
    This is where I put lyrics to songs everyone likes and things I find witty.

I type with a British and Canadian accent. Eh, got it mate?

Hey,
    It's a better improvement now

Although at start I did get confused with the mouse suddenly disappearing at some points. A cool thing would be to draw your own mouse, and make it lose it's alpha when it get's closer to the hole. That should make sense

I'm also still bothered about the movement of the ball (srry ). I think the problem is that when the ball is at a slow speed, it hardly slows down. When the ball is at a slow speed it should slow down very quickly, that would make it a lot more realistic. The rotation of the ball could be just 1 movie, you can then rotate the ball corectly when moveing.

I'm not trying to be the negative guy here, just helping

Very nice game. Easy to play, you know how to play it within seconds and makes fun. Great work!
    Be a worm and catch fruits in a parallax scenario:

http://www.nibbly.com/flug.html

Cool Person
    hiding the mouse never works... all you have to do is point behind the hole and easy as pie... i've been doin it ever since i first played candystand.com minigolf.
    Ich bin ein kuppler!

SaphuA:
    I know that the ball movement isn't perfect, but I think it will be ok. I don't think any players will even notice it.

I've added another hole for anyone who wants to check it out. I know it's very easy to get around the hidden mouse thing, but it's the next best thing beside hiding the mouse the entire game.

0.00 Posts per day
    Well done! Love your game! It's so easy to learn and it's really fun to play. But (dun dun dunnnnnnn)sometimes it pauses when it has a hitest, just for a tiny bit. Plus it would be nice if it adjusted the speed to slow down a little a bitwhen you hit it through a pipe or something like that instead of making it always go the same speed when it goes through something like that (if you get what I mean) Just a couple of tiny things

Programmer Stuff And click on the link at the BOTTOM that advertises for bravehost! Gets meh money...hehehe