A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help For My RPG Game

Help For My RPG Game

I've been reading the tutorials to learn stuff for my game i'm making and I couldn't find a descent tutorial that was based on rpg except for RPG something Part 1 but part 2 is missing. So Can anyone plz give me some tutorials on making rpg, collisions, animating your moving character*via when u move him round with keyboard* and also stuff on like going up to an object/npc and interacting with them.

I have a little sample online of a comabat and mapping system, but it's not the greatest. What I would highly recommend is to go through Tonypa's tile based tutorials. A lot of that is directly applicable to what you want to do.

Here's Tonypa's site:
    http://www.tonypa.pri.ee/tbw/

And here's the little sample I was working on:
    (Mine isn't really a tutorial, though, it's an RPG system I was working on to help someone out, so the code is documented, but the description on the page isn't very good.)
    http://www.xenotrader.com/rpg
    Speed up your development time with well documented and easy to implement Flash components.
    That's what I do, I save people.... Save them from work. I'm like a slacker superhero, standing for truth, justice, and the consumption of sugary pastries.

EgoAnt...
    Problem with your combat part

Give your buttons names, and after one has been pressed, disable it... i just kept clicking and it attacked multiple times

Okay, yeah, I didn't really spend much time on the buttons and such, it was created mostly as a sample of how to do the math behind the system, I added in a bunch of things just to flesh it out a bit. Now that I'm thinking of making it into an actual game I will definitely have to re-examine the combat.

I was actually planning on making it a lot more flexible, either by adding more buttons based on abilities and equipped items, or something along those lines. Thanks for pointing out the multiple attacking, though, I hadn't noticed that.
    Speed up your development time with well documented and easy to implement Flash components.
    That's what I do, I save people.... Save them from work. I'm like a slacker superhero, standing for truth, justice, and the consumption of sugary pastries.

Thanks For That Site... But I'm Using Flash MX 2004 via 7
    and do u know any other sites that dont base on top view tiled sets
    Last edited by Alucard_50ae; 06-27-2004 at 04:07 AM.

What sort of an engine are you looking to do? Is it more of a head on maze like the old Bard's Tale and might and magic games? Because it's easy enough to convert the draw style to something like that. Those were just tile based games as well.

Also, I'm pretty sure Tonypa has some stuff on his site about isometric engines, and that can be applied as well.

Underdog to the Babes Coven
    Whilst we're all talking about RPG's, got my own question.

Ive been making an RPG tutorial/engine for the past few weeks, and was wondering what sort of combat interface players prefer?

Shoot-em up style, or old DnD style with stats n stuff?

The RPG Engine I wanna build is one similiar to frank's adventure
    but first i wanna learn collisions and moving your character with animation.
    Last edited by Alucard_50ae; 06-27-2004 at 07:06 PM.

Well, if you want some P2P help, feel free to add me to MSN or AIM or whatever you use.

OK I've learned how to move my character with animation now can some pleas give me a collision code just to add not to modify

Im going to reply before anyone else does, so I'll be nice.

Dude, you really arent giving yourself a good name. What will you learn from getting code you dont even understand?
    Speak to me and I'll give you a hand, but other than that, I doubt anyone will just give you some code.

Originally posted by krisinyork
    Whilst we're all talking about RPG's, got my own question.

Ive been making an RPG tutorial/engine for the past few weeks, and was wondering what sort of combat interface players prefer?

Shoot-em up style, or old DnD style with stats n stuff?

I find that the problem with a lot of Flash RPGs is that there's so much lag in the combat sequences. You'll meet a blue slime, with about 2 hps, and you know you can kill it in a single strike. But the whole process from creature appearing, to fight animation, to resolution, takes about 45 seconds, which is about 35 seconds longer than necessary. Similarly, I hate the interfaces where you have to wait for your energy to rebuild after each turn, before you can strike again. It's okay for traditional RPGs where there are lots of characters, but in Flash RPGs with single characters, you run into situations all the time where you're just sitting, waiting for your energy to rebuild. I definitely prefer basic turn-based combat to this.

More action-based combat interfaces are okay, too. But again, it's gotta be quick when appropriate--it shouldn't take a minute to defeat a basic enemy.

Whats Your MSN?
    Last edited by Alucard_50ae; 06-28-2004 at 09:53 PM.

Jesus.... grow up, and go and get some help elsewhere if you aren't willing to take it.

I got everything I needed to know, so thanks anyone who helped me or tried.

Thanks
    Last edited by Alucard_50ae; 06-29-2004 at 05:09 AM.