dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Exe to SWF

Exe to SWF

Hey guys,
    Is it possible to convert a .exe file to an swf?
    I need to do it for one of my files but am unsure as how to do it. Thank you for any insight that you can provide.
    Don

Tim (Super Moderator) Northcode's Avatar
    Check out my FREE exe2swf utility at http://www.northcode.com/resources/utilities.html

I have a bunch of files where I need to remove the full screen command and override the stops at various frames in the movie. For three files, I only have the exe files, not the source file. I used Northcode's exe2swf utility (thank you!) to extract the swf from two exe files successfully, and then was able to use loadMovie to target the swf and override the fullscreen and stop commands. On the third file, I used the exe2swf utility but the resulting file was a "compressed Flash MX swf file," where the other two were uncompressed. I can't get this swf to play, and so my fix doesn't work. So, two questions 1. Is there a way to uncompress the swf file? or 2. is there a way using FScommand or some other scripting solution or 3rd party software to override the fullscreen command and get the exe version to play without stops?

Are you using the Flash 5 player to play the extracted SWF files? That's the only reason I can think of where you couldn't play the SWF. It *IS* possible to uncompress SWF files - check out http://www.kinesissoftware.com/products.html

The exe file was created in MX 2004. Will exe2swf work for that? Not sure why it would only run in Flash player 5. Couldn't figure out how to use the Kinesis product to uncompress the swf. I may be in over my head...

Yep, exe2swf will work on EXE files created with any version of Flash.