A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RetroGaming] Check this little thingy! :-)

[RetroGaming] Check this little thingy! :-)

A good friend of mine sent me this link >> http://www.jakkstvgames.com/namco.html

I want one of those!

Check also the one with pinballs >> http://www.jakkstvgames.com/pinball.html

That's really ,

Lapo

p.s. = I was wondering if they would work on PAL-based televisions ... I wrote them an email, let'see what they will answer
    www.gotoandplay.it
    Flash game developers community
    www.smartfoxserver.com
    Multiplayer Flash Server

LAPO, my coworker bought one of these last year. It's cool and all, but it uses batteries.

Originally posted by kendude
    LAPO, my coworker bought one of these last year. It's cool and all, but it uses batteries.
    Oh ... how come I never heard about it before!

Yep, I read it uses batteries. Is your friend unsatisfied beacause of this? Since it doesn't have mechanical parts, batteries should last a decent amount of time, I guess

Ask your coworker if he can do a quick review for us

Lapo
    www.gotoandplay.it
    www.smartfoxserver.com
    Multiplayer Flash Server

oh yes, that kind of machine is not really new, but still so much loveable :P

anyway, i like that retro feeling a lot. i just received a japanese famicom several weeks ago, and tried one of my famicom cart like "50-in-1", including super mario, excite bike, mappy, xevious etc... man, that was awesome! really. too bad i don't have my super mario bros 3 jap cart anymore. that game was just fantastic.

think geek has some of these ...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/

too bad they are made for 110V, so i'm not sure if they are useable in europe.

<olli/>

Originally posted by nGFX
    think geek has some of these ...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/

too bad they are made for 110V, so i'm not sure if they are useable in europe.

<olli/>
    yes they are. i'm very used with japanese consoles and foreign stuffs. you just need to buy a stepdown converter, that way the machine will not suddenly explode

A link to a european version for you...

Namco 5 in 1

and an atari version for those who are interested:

Atari 10 in 1

Never tried them though

haha,that´s fun,thanks for sharing the link =)

marmotte:
    yes they are. i'm very used with japanese consoles and foreign stuffs. you just need to buy a stepdown converter, that way the machine will not suddenly explode

nGFX:
    thanks for the link, they have all kind of weird stuff there ... "LED Binary Watch"

lowestformofwit:
    thanks... they have it and they work on PAL tv sets.

But I'll wait the one with the pinballs!
    www.gotoandplay.it
    www.smartfoxserver.com
    Multiplayer Flash Server

I've read about a new mini retro console which should come up in July / August in europe. It's build in the design of the famouse C64 competion pro joysticks and includes 30 games. Unfortunately I don't remember the link
    Be a worm and catch fruits in a parallax scenario:

http://www.nibbly.com/flug.html

youmex:
    I think you're talking about this > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05...p_c64_revival/

It seems it will be out in the 2nd half of 2004 in Europe.
    www.gotoandplay.it
    www.smartfoxserver.com
    Multiplayer Flash Server

Hmmm.
    not G rated, link removed - bad language
    Last edited by Markp.com; 07-04-2004 at 12:19 PM.

ay,come on,that article is partially fun to read but can´t be seen as serious opinion.
    the author obviously was never addicted to those classic games or hes just a techie who only likes the newest high end stuff.
    you don´t have to be a looser to like classic games.
    most people still liking retro games either like them because they bring up memories from their childhood/teenager time or because they remember the great gameplay those games had.
    people liking to remember nice memories or prefering gameplay over graphics can´t be counted as loosers because of that.

I personally love retro games, even though I wasn't around for anything before NES. I even still have my NES with tons of games (unfortunatly, it's broken). But even now I play SMB3 on my gameboy more than I play my gamecube.

jtnw

what i liked least in that article was that it said that retro game fans must be old grandpas not able to keep up with the games of today.
    yep,jtnw is a very good example that this is not right at all
    i actually won my n64 at a competition which was about getting the top time on several wipeOut 2097 tracks (back in the time when the japonese n64 was new and wipeOut 2097 was quite new,too)
    ;some years have passed but as wipeOut 2097 is still one of the speediest games out there,i know i´m definately not too old to keep up with "nowadays speedy games".
    i like some of todays games (for example halo because of the great AI,physics,multiplayermode and vehicles) and lots of classic games,too.
    the reason why i actually play more classic games than new ones (in case i have time for playing lengthy) is that most nowadays games seem all too similar to me and graphic quality seems to get more and more important than gameplay.
    there are some exceptions for that rule but have you had a look at the release list for the pc games for this year?
    out of 100 games about 70 are world war2 ego or third person shooters..
    besides that i think the limitations of the older consoles didn´t only force the developers to be more creative in gameplay but also in the graphics section: In 3d games you can reuse models over and over,so in most games,the companies just reuse the models and render them with more polygons,exchanged textures and more effects as graphic card power rises.
    On old consoles you had to use raster graphics which were mostly drawn new from scratch from game to game (exceptions like the streetfighter series and arcade games by snk exist,but you get the point).

Have to agree.

Although maybe it's because we're all getting a bit older and don't have the time to invest in the new games as they demand so much more time than retro arcade blasters.

I mean, we did it back in the days of the commodore and spectrum but I couldn't imagine playing a game now that I couldn't save.

And I agree with the "lets make the graphics look as real as possible and forget about the game" mentality. At least it seems that developers are now recognising that aesthetics alone do not make a game look real and are starting to focus on real world physics. Although, that partly processing power too, i know.

Think I'll have a shot of Paperboy. Best retro game ever.