A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Animated GIF export mottled/dithered strange

Animated GIF export mottled/dithered strange

When I export as an animated GIF in Flash, the file comes out looking dithered. Like it's choosing only a few colors when I have it set to 128 which is plenty. Why is this happening? I've tried changing the settings(smoothing, dithered, upping the # of colors) in the export menu but it stays with the same 'pixelly' look.

Is it a photograph, or an image using gradients? If so, 128 colors may not be enough.

Have a look. The one on the left is the original. On the right is the Flash output even with colors set to 256. The dominant color isn't even correct.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yep, you're right. Apparently Flash doesn't give some of the palette options that other graphic packages do. There might not be anything you can do, unless you can alter the colors of your images to something Flash might like better, like the web safe color palette.

What a piece of junk! You think they would've had something like this corrected 3 versions ago. What other way could I do this? Quicktime export and then create a GIF? I guess I'll have to experiment a bit. If you have any suggestions, please post them.

Thanks for the help