dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Anyone know of a better *NOOB* 3-d game programing program other then DARK BASIC?

Noob with alot of questions

Anyone know of a better *NOOB* 3-d game programing program other then DARK BASIC?

Anyone know of a better *NOOB* 3-d game programing program other then DARK BASIC?

Ive asked around on a couple other boards, but just asking here to see if there are any other ones out there...

the main reason I think that iam gonna go with DarkBASIC is the $50 price tag.....

the main reason I would like something eles, is its release date is over 2 years ago........
    --Dont blame me if iam wrong....

www.hattrickproductions.tk
    Not much there, but need 30 hits every 90 days for it to stay free for me.

What are you looking to do? There are a lot of good apps out there.

For RPGs, there's a program called RPGMaker. Excellant program.

Check out Genesis 3D. Comes with a Quake/Unreal-ish demo of a game made in it. It's completely free. Just need extensive c/c++ knowledge.

-genesis f5 (mx)

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    Have you considered making a mod for a game that already exists. The advantage to that is,

1) its still basically making your own game from scratch.
    2) you'll have a wide spread audience if you choose something like half life or something from the unreal or quake series.
    3) They (generally) come with their own editing software
    4) cheap. the most a game ever costs is 50 bucks.
    5) they're usually flexable enough with the coding to do a little scripting of your own. Especally where you're new thats a bonus.

Noob with alot of questions
    I would try modding, but the thing I would like to learn is the programing behind 3-d movement and worlds......as far as the DarkBASIC coding goes, its just a few MATRIX lines of code and the 3-d world is set......

Theres a game example in the program that your in a space ship, you are moving foward, up and down on hills with a celing on top of you, if you move on areas too high you crash into ceiling, move left and right to avoid the hills, and when you turn the screen pans...
    All in about 1 and a half pages of code!!!

Ive took a year class of VB and made enough useless programs, so what iam looking for is to elevate my knowledge in 3-d worlds while still doing something usefull (game making)
    Last edited by Hightech2; 07-06-2004 at 11:32 PM.
    --Dont blame me if iam wrong....

www.hattrickproductions.tk
    Not much there, but need 30 hits every 90 days for it to stay free for me.