A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Morality and Ethics and Religion

Originally posted by former_muslim
    I was here to make a Flash game, but I was censored out by people afraid to see the truth coming out. My main aim was to get that game made, fine I'll adjust to learning about Flash now, or see what that goes. Certainly, Freedom of speech doesnt exist on this website. I was surprised to see that! Where are you all mostly from ? Not USA, eh ?
    Our members come from everywhere. This site was created by an Australian. What does that have to do with anything? You agree to a TOS when you sign up here, and thus you lose your Constitutional Rights. Sorry, but you're barking up the wrong tree there.

whatever man, cool down now, now I know what this site is, I know what to say and how to say it.

whatever man, cool down now, now I know what this site is, I know what to say and how to say it.
    I'm cool. If you want to take this conversation to PM, i'm all for it. Otherwise, let's get back on topic, shall we gents?

Hey Guys....

Ultima was obviosly joking with is quote.

Former_mulsim is a er....former_muslim...so with that title it would appear that this is foremost on his mind.

He only has like 4 posts so maybe we should give him a little time to get the feel for this community, before he is cast out....or leaves.

Tony

i was remembering the fact that the moderator tomsamson censored my wife beating posts so i thought this is a PC forum where anti-religion is subdued and religion is allowed. Tahts why I got on my defenses. Anyway, i would appreciate an answer from you in my Newbie thread:
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=567497

Originally posted by Ultima Designs
    Don't forget - atheists are often very grumpy and bitter and will lash out at children or they may even try to trick you into neglecting God's Word.

http://objective.jesussave.us/kidz.html
    My avatar made me post this

just so you know, former_muslim, this site was mocked exstensively in the past, call it a running joke if you will

i was remembering the fact that the moderator tomsamson censored my wife beating posts so i thought this is a PC forum where anti-religion is subdued and religion is allowed. Tahts why I got on my defenses. Anyway, i would appreciate an answer from you in my Newbie thread:
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=567497
    I think tomsamson censored your post more along the lines of it was a religious-centered post, and those are usually reserved for the CL.

Anyways, I think that if you stay a while, you'll find that the majority of our members are athiests/agnostics. At least that's the impression i've recieved in the 3+ years i've been here.

I'm thinking that a lot just don't say their religious beliefs in full. Like me, for instance.

Why then the extreme moderation if Islam is mocked? Christianity mocking is fine, but no no, Islam must'nt be mocked. My thread for Quranic wife beating was closed down 2 times (even in the CL)!
    This shows you its possible to mock Christianity here, but not Islam. Interesting.. !

Originally posted by yasunobu13
    I'm thinking that a lot just don't say their religious beliefs in full. Like me, for instance.
    I alwasy thought you were a Calathumpian?...

Tony

Why then the extreme moderation if Islam is mocked? Christianity mocking is fine, but no no, Islam must'nt be mocked. My thread for Quranic wife beating was closed down 2 times (even in the CL)!
    This shows you its possible to mock Christianity here, but not Islam. Interesting.. !
    Hey are we related?.. cause I seem to have the same problems from time to time on these subjects.

former_muslim if you want to be heard you need to go to this site

You will find on this site people who share your experiences.

And and eye opener about Islam fo other.

Tony

XU1, i've seen that site, yes, thanks. I'm on the tail of the issue. I want to know from the moderators why they locked my wife beating threads even though one of them was in the CL - yet they allow Christianity to be mocked up as much as possible.

Damn the man. Always keepin' us down.

Seriously, take a chill pill. It's a dev forum. Not a soapbox.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Originally posted by yasunobu13
    My avatar made me post this
    It's kind of funny - as soon as I saw that site, I quickly realized where your avatar came from.

Originally posted by XU1
    I alwasy thought you were a Calathumpian?...

Tony
    I don't know what that is.

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar
    Good time to start a debate.

Most people seem to disagree with the idea that ethics are anything other than nurture. From what I read anyway.

However what about the idea that certain genes could lead to a "potential" or "propensity" for certain unethical behaviours?

I'm not saying they "cause this" or "determine that". But isn't it possible that they could help encourage a persons morality?

For example, a person who easily loses their temper may have a propensity to morally justify violence. Any Freudian will tell you that our ego always justifies our actions; so a person who is genetically prone to violent acts, may justify themselves by saying "I did nothing wrong, they made me hit/punch/kick them".

The person sees nothing wrong morally or ethically when attacking someone else, because it "was deserved". Their parents, teachers, priests, etc, could tell them it is wrong and they may never understand. (This is the basic definition of sociopath)

I once read pitbulls are genetically vicious animals because their skull puts pressure on the brain causing pain; the pain makes them angry and they are more likely to bite.

Unlike animals though, humans justify their actions, so that they avoid guilt associated with doing something wrong. IE "I am not taking the poker players money, I am outsmarting them by cheating, etc."

So just as a propensity towards vertigo may reduce your chances of ever becoming a mountain climber, it doesn't mean you can never live in a place that is not flat. However more often than not, you will still be afraid of heights.

Likewise, a genetic propensity towards violence doesn't mean you will feel no guilt after giving someone a beating, nor does it mean all people with propensities towards violence will justify them as "OK". However it may make you less likely to see it as you doing wrong, and more likely to see it as the other person wronging you.

Boy that's a long read

Originally posted by PAlexC
    I think your friend is an idiot.
    Too. Tired. To. Post.

your friend is an idiot. That needs to be said a few more times.

As for your other topics. I think a lot of how people behave is based on how they were raised. I don't think that it is default that somehow will be violent or a pacifist no matter what environment that person was raised in. I think that they learn from their parents what is right and wrong.

Originally posted by PAlexC

If thats directed at me then:

Yes it is a dev forum, but this is the Coffe Lounge of this Dev forum as I read it:

Hang out, general conversation, chat, and kick back in the Lounge.

I guess there are plenty of other threads with other topics in the CL for you, I was only giving some suggestions to former_muslim, I dont need to chill out, Im not worked up.

Tony
    Last edited by XU1; 07-07-2004 at 09:00 PM.

PAlexC

tell that to the mods who close the threads!