dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: exporting larger than 72dpi

exporting larger than 72dpi

hi guys, i want to display a few photos in flash but i want them better quality than 72dpi, is it possible to create a projector that displays images at say 150dpi?

thanks
    John

Monitors are generally limited to around 72 dpi (it's more like 75 to 100 dpi depending on the monitor). If you have an image at a higher resolution, it's just going to make it larger on the screen. A 144-dpi image will show up twice as big on the screen as a 72-dpi one because the screen still always shows the same number of pixels per inch. The higher resolutions only matters for printing.

so it doesnt really matter if the res of the image is bigger?

Well, in the case when a photo is by itself (like just on a webpage), if it's higher res than the monitor can show, it's going to show it bigger on the screen (not necessarily what you want) unless you've forced the size down with the height & width attributes of HTML (bad idea - makes the page load slow). If the photo's in Flash, you may have shrunk down the photo inside Flash at which case it will show at the right size on the screen (though it will still be showing at the screen's resolution). If you start with a high-res image you *may* still have that data embedded (I'm not sure with Flash) at which point the page would load slower. I can't remember if the data's still embedded or not in Flash -- does anyone know? I make it a habit to always work in 72-dpi images for the Web since everything will load quickly. Other resolutions don't matter except when you're printing (when you're printing you want to do at least 300-dpi for color photos).

Hope that helps,
    Phyllis