A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Loading a series of Jpegs dynamically

Loading a series of Jpegs dynamically

Ive been asked to make a presentation which can load jpegs dynamically into flash. This is of course relativily easy to do. However, it needs to load a series of Jpegs as part of a slideshow from a folder which will be continously updated with pictures. It also needs to go through the slideshow automatically and not require a user to operate through it.

As a new picture is inserted into the folder it needs to be added to the slideshow dynamically (obviously the pictures will be named like picture001, picture002, picture003 etc etc). Also the tricky part is this needs to be done without me changing the flash script at any time.

IS this possible to do? Is it easy?

Same number of pictures every time? You could use timer code on a movie clip telling another clip to go to the next frame every so many seconds. The code to load the images would be in the different frames.

Nope, pictures will be contiously added So the number will keep increasing.

Thinking along the same lines as your idea, is there a way of making say 300 frames in flash each loading a jpeg and havin a timer before goin to the next frame, to then script it so that if it is unable to find the jpeg its supposed to load, to go back to the first frame? Or is there no way of changing it from just erroring and doing nothing?

There is a relatively easy way to do it, but I haven't worked out the details for a way to make it run automatically. It'll take some time. I have one slideshow that is all run from very simple text files that load the buttons and populate them with the code to load a particular image, read from another text file. It's expandable, just by adding more text files. But, it's not automatic yet.

You can see it here.

There is probably a way to do what you want, but I haven't thought it through yet.
    Last edited by iaskwhy; 07-09-2004 at 01:41 PM.