A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Controlling a child movie inside a loded movie

Controlling a child movie inside a loaded movie

I have a parent movie call it ("main") that loads a child (call it "child") inside "child" is a GIF animation (call it "ani").

When "child" is playing alone the buttons that start and stop(show/hide/etc) "ani" all work fine, but when you call "child" from "main" the buttons that control "ani" no longer work.

I'm sure this is something simple, but I can't seem to figure it out.

any help appreciated.............
    -J
    Last edited by zoranvedek; 12-22-2003 at 03:04 PM.

I've had no success with loaded movies responding to mouse events.

I've reported this in detail to support and hope they are dealing with it soon. It's kinda stopped me in my tracks on a complete overhall of my website that I had undertaken....

Oh by the way Jason you may have noticed that deadyeti is no longer sorry about that, we had to trim the none income hosting.

......noticed that deadyeti was gone about a month or so ago........

Hopefully this lack of control over child movies can be worked around, I've got something that has to be out tonight and relies on it, sure would hate to rebuild everything in 3.72 at the last minute.

I'm off to try using a container movie built in 3.72(hopefully this works). If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions at this point.

-J

Ok the container idea did not work, I ended up putting the "child" inside of the "main", and selecting download external swf. This took care of the control issues, now how do I get a loading movie onto the child(it is afterall an external swf)...........

-J

I hate to answer my own posts so often but, I pretty much solved my problem(or at least worked around it). If you chose the option of downloading an external swf for you child movies you can control your child movie by mouse events and keep file size pretty low, but you lose the option of having a loading movie. So what I ended up doing was putting a movie between the main and child(call it intermediate), and used it to control a loading movie.

"Main" contains "intermediate"

intermediate contains "child" plus a "loader"

main- button shows/plays "intermediate"

intermediate-

scene1
    show "child"(child starts downloading)
    play "child"
    show "loader"
    play "loader"

scene 2

stop "intermediate"(loader continues to play)

scene 3
    stop "loader
    hide "loader"

child-

scene 1
    goto "intermediate" scene 3(stops and hides "loader")

here it is in action
    http://www.harborsu-name-it.com/3rd.html
    (click the furniture link)

If theres a simpler way to do this let me know, but for now this gives all the options of loading a seperate swf, and the control I need, and an added bonus of being able to open it all up in one file.

-J
    Last edited by zoranvedek; 12-22-2003 at 10:00 PM.

Looking good Zon, I didn't realize the load as external was an option. Interesting that works. I tried fooling the program though by replacing the create child with another one but alas it didn't work.

Thanks for the input here, guys! I've been struggling with this issue for quite some time already. I tried to solve it by using the slide show and to let the file size become bigger. I even had to remove the background music... Very much like your option, zoranvedek!