A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Audio file problem

Audio file problem

I am having difficulty incorporating sound files (both .wav and MP3) into a Flash project. When testing the files after importing them into the library, they sound fine but, after inserting them into the project, the 's' sounds are 'lispy' and the overall quality is similar to someone speaking into a barrel.

I have tried adjusting the compression settings but nothing I try seems to have any affect on the quality of the files after they are inserted into the project.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and, if so, how did you resolve it?

Banned
    Are you maybe overriding the default compression, with a lower bit rate, in the Publish settings?

I don't think so. The file properties in the library indicate a rate of 16 kbps, which is the same rate indicated in the publish settings.

Any other ideas?

Try this

What is the quality of your original sounds? I've found that compressing sounds multiple times, can snowball and give you unexpected results,.

Try compressing them outside of falsh, and then setting them not to be compressed by flash.

Also make sure you know whether your sound is set as an event or stream, and make sure the compression is set accordingly.

Hope that helps

Musician/Sound Engineer
    The only way I've ever been able to get quality audio is to 'up' the custom settings. Try 128Kbps. I hope your files aren't too large, because this will add some size to them! But the results are much better.

Mike

As indicated in my original post, the quality of the audio files is great when testing them in the library. However, as soon as I drag and drop the audio files into a scene, and then test the scene, the quality of the sound file is less than acceptable.

I don't see anyplace where I can tell if the sound is set as an event or stream.

It seems that the quality of the sound files is adversely affected by simply moving them from the library into a scene.

Why would this be?

The 128 kbps setting seems to have done the trick.

Thanks!

Musician/Sound Engineer
    No problem, glad I could help. Flash is so bad with audio, I really wish they would do something about this.