A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: problems with loadclip

problems with loadclip

im having problems telling movieclip to start after they are loaded...
    im doing this

createEmptyMovieClip("nav", 0);
    mcl.loadClip("navi.swf", nav);

i have this code in the listener section....

mclListener.onLoadComplete = function(mclname)
    {
    trace("finished");
    nav.gotoAndStop(2);
    }

a trace and the command to tell the loaded movie to goto its second frame. the trace is coming back in my output window but the movie clip i loaded is not going to the second frame like it is supposed to...

the navi.swf is a movie with a blank 1st frame with a stop action and a navigator bar clip on the second frame.

ive tried everthing....please help....it tried _parent.gotoAndStop(2);,_level0.nav.gotoAndStop(2) ;, _root.gotoAndStop(2);, i tried placing it outside the listner function. for some reason i can't tell the newly loaded clip to play no matter what?
    Last edited by bdog01; 07-17-2004 at 02:24 AM.

code:

_root.createEmptyMovieClip("nav", 0);
    nav.loadMovie("navi.swf");

There isn't a loadClip function.

yes there is a .load clip fonction in flash MX 2004...

if think i figured out my own problem but its just a guess...

basically i added a setinterval to call a function to see if the movie is loaded AND make sure that its current frame is 1...strangely enough there seems to be a point when the movie is loaded but is not completely loaded...that is the bytes are all there but you cant actually manipulate it or give it gotoAndPlay/Stop commands...adding the (if currentFrame == 1) amde sure that it was not only loaded in bytes but also loaded into the other swf and could be fully manipulated...i noticed this because i set a pause right before the gotoAndStop(2) and then it would work...so it takes a couple milisecound after it is loaded before u can issue it a gotoAnd command...funny no one else has come accross this....

Hmmmm, I use MX. And there's definately nothing in the online documentation for MX 2004 that has loadClip. Mmk.

You must be using a function of whatever mcl is.

---Edit: Ahh, just found the moviecliploader component. That answers it. Oh I don't like components. =)

bdog u rock

I've been having the same problem getting loaded movies to play -- whether loaded with loadMovie or with loadClip. Your setInterval workaround did the trick.

MX definitely didn't give have this problem.

I've seen elsewhere that MX2004 falsely reports completion of a load action... I think there's a major problem with it.

Another major issue is with createEmptyMovieClip. You have to use workarounds to manipulate the clip after it's created. Especially if you try to set the _width or the _height properties -- it disappears completely.

Hoping for an update on the player. I think it has some biiiiig holes.

p.s. I'm using Flash version 7.2
    True genius consists of the ability to work around one's shortcomings.