A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Hourglass when loading/executing files (doc, pdf, ppt, etc)

Hourglass when loading/executing files (doc, pdf, ppt, etc)

Hey FKers!

I have a client asking me that question. There are some files that they provided and need me to launch from the CD. That's perfectly fine - I've done that, but now, the problem lies in the fact that it takes almost forever for the file to load because it's around 10MB big.

Sometimes, because the file hasn't loaded yet I can't call the window to be on top of the Flash player (to show that it's actually loading), so it looks as if the button is there for decoration.

My client then asked me if there's a way I can put the hourglass icon to show that the file is being loaded. I didn't think it's possible.. but then again, I haven't given it much thought. I need a real solution to this - not a fake animation of an hourglass.

Thanks!
    Ramon Miguel M. Tayag

Hi,

If you don't want to use an animation then you'll have to incorporate a 3rd party software to help.

Flash Studio PRO v2 can do this easily for you by using the following code:
    Code:
    cursorType = "HourGlass"; 
    fscommand("flashstudio.setmousecursor", "cursorType");
    This will change the state of the Windows Cursor to the hourglass, which you can change back once the files have been copied. I hope this helps!

but will the hourglass stay there for as long as the program is loading?
    Ramon Miguel M. Tayag

It will stay on there until you decide to change it back You can also set it to virtually any Windows cursor state, not just the hourglass

I need a solution that makes the icon an hourglass whenever the computer is loading

thanks though!
    Ramon Miguel M. Tayag

Yes, that's exactly what it does! You simply add that code just before or after you execute your file and it will change to a HourGlass. Once your file has loaded, or files copied etc, you can set the state back to the normal cursor.